Sunday, May 25, 2008

We Are Family (Continued)

Whatever our background, I think deep down my family is Parsee.

My Dad still drives the 1984 car which shines like a brand new Maserati.
We still have the Godrej cupboard which was purchased in the 1970's.
I still wear clothes I wore in 1985.

Not to say the Parsee's do the above (surely not clothes from 1985), but they are on the whole famous for living in the ancient-family-passed-on by generations world. You can identify a car owned by a Parsee. You can walk into a house and you know it belongs to a Parsee household just looking at the grand aristocratic furniture passed on by generations.

Anyways the essence of this post is my familys tedency not to part with anything pre-historic. My Mom will have every small thing packed and stored away (including plastic bags) for you never know when it might be useful. And our PC at home. An old dilapidated Pentium - II and a Funai monitor. When you switch on the same, the image on the screen vibrates incessantly till Dad slams the side of the monitor and it stabilizes. Click on the Internet Explorer icon, walk away, have a cup of coffee, get your kids married, watch them grow old and hopefully by then IE would have launched. Ok, you get the idea!

So this time round I decided to drop my laptop (which in itself is 5 years old) for good ol' Dad. So now we have the P-II tower, the Funai monitor and my laptop kept besides each other. However, everytime I head towards the laptop, I see it replaced by a mousepad. After putting the mousepad away, getting the laptop back into position, setting up the net etc etc. the next day, the laptop is again replaced by a mousepad and the net cable connected to the P-II monster.

So now I have a morning ritual. Connect the laptop to the net.

My Dad has an evening ritual. Disconnect the laptop and connect the P-II to the net.

I tell ya..... Parsee!


On a side-note. Talking of Parsee's reminds me of a friend I had in mithibai college who was named Percy. During one lecture the prof asked him to stand up and this was the conversation which followed:

Prof: Are you Parsee?
Percy: No, its Percy.





Time to fly back to the USA. I have had such an awesome time in Mumbai, sometimes I wonder why am I even going back. And that too of all places.... west Michigan. Nothing against the place but it would be nice if I actually saw some people there. And until I buy a new laptop I am gonna be offline. But I'll put up a post of what I did and who I killed as soon as I am back to the online world.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Solitaire said...

I have a roommate who is Parsi!! And boy she is weird! I hope you are not related to her.

May 25, 2008 8:12 PM  
Blogger Neetal said...

U killed someone... WOW...

Apoorva the Fugitive !

Apoo enlisted for,Most Wanted List !

May be I can give the Naam Patta of you and get you arrested and even earn some mullah for my tuition.

YAY !

May 25, 2008 10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that 1985 shirt still fits him coz apoo used to be a huge kid

something like that mukesh ambani's overgrown kid

May 26, 2008 1:53 AM  
Blogger chinmai said...

hi.. got ur link thru a frnd.. like ur style of funny ... ve blogrolled hope that shud be ok..

May 26, 2008 10:54 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

oh no!! u cant do tht to us! u have to have a laptop!
Rightaway!

May 27, 2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger insiyasyed said...

quote: "like ur style of funny" too.

i divide my time at work these days reading your blog's archive and eating, all through this time i pretend i'm working.

hi.

May 29, 2008 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wats wrong with grand aristocratic furniture! if u ever have a garage sale of it lemme know ;) but cant say teh same abt the PC though

May 29, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger Neetal said...

Quote the quote "like ur style of funny ..."

I am noticing Your 'humor karo cho' has resulted in turning you into a Gujju-Magnet (fortunately). Alas, Not a Chic-Magnet (fortunately too) !

May 29, 2008 1:11 PM  
Blogger Still Searching said...

Guess we're both going to be looking forward to July 4th sale this year! You for laptop, me for camera :(

May 29, 2008 10:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

aww... that's so sweet! got the same replies whne i asked parents what they wanted from here.
Mom: But beta, everything is so expensive there. We get the same things here - and even better, they can be repaired if they get broken!

erm... it's new - it's not SUPPOSED to be 'broken' ! and WHO is going to go about trashing stuff that i get to send it to the repair- man??,

June 01, 2008 2:00 AM  
Blogger Tazeen said...

Apoo,
Every time I come here to comment on something I see neeku's comment and forget about what i wanted to comment on.
Neeku,
darling you are awesome, i laughed like crazy at your 'humor karo cho' line.

June 04, 2008 2:56 AM  
Blogger Neetal said...

Tazeen: "The humor karo cho..." has been a very edgy line (in the past) ... I almost got into a sword fight with someone for stereotyping Gujjus (given me the fact me Gujju too!)

Oh well... its an old boring story.

But the other day (few weeks back) had checked one of your posts on Cherry Blair Novel (& I laughed like crazy too!)

& I have to thank you.. Why?

...coz it sort of inspired me to gift someone I've literally grown up to HATE ! I have the apt sarcastic note and perfect occasion. ...and there will be Theeeee perfect look her face too ;) & you just made my task easier to answer her back... :D Gosh I so much now love you too !

June 04, 2008 8:55 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

that's just like my house!!!!! everything just rots....including me....

June 24, 2008 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home