Monday, October 06, 2008

Skydiving - Check

Thinking - I seriously hope this guy on my back is not gay!

Did I feel something poking my ass?

Probably not. Perhaps somersaulting at 10000 ft. should be of higher concern than any poking. Is this even supposed to happen? The world sure seems weird upside down!

Need some orientation... time to get out the drogue (and breathe)

OK, this feels brilliant! I am gonna have spiked hair when I land!

Time to pull the cord. The canopy opened. God loves me!

Ok, so it was a crash land. There are times when having a huge soft padded butt could be an advantage!

Yes, I am DA MAN!





I think everyone should do this once. The 40 second free-fall is absolutely amazing and when you glide underneath your parachute, the world looks surreal! For two weeks, I have been trying to dive and for some reason the weather Gods were against me. Too many clouds. And this weekend was supposed to be no different. We spent Saturday night dancing at a friends wedding all the way to 3 AM and then I get a call at 8 AM asking me to look out of the window. Nice sunny day and not a cloud in the sky. And so we were off for skydiving. I kept yawning as I got into the jumpsuit. I kept yawning as the plane gained altitude. And I think I yawned during the free-fall. The instructor was rather amused at how I was all zonked and not jittery in any way. He actually checked to make sure I was not drunk!

I have a video of the entire free-fall, but am too lazy to rip the DVD. So meantime, you guys can enjoy this little preview of the build-up which a friend shot with my cam. And if I ever get around to it, I'll update this post with the freefall video.

Till then, I think you should skydive. At least once. On a cold Michigan Fall day. And have the wind cut through your skin. Its mind-numbing!

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

while jumping off .. did he push u or u pulled him?

October 06, 2008 4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who clicked the photos /captured the videos?

does that come with the package or you have to pay separately for that?

October 06, 2008 4:22 AM  
Blogger DewdropDream said...

You forgot your countdown!

And good photos... worth a try then I suppose :)

October 06, 2008 6:16 AM  
Blogger Tazeen said...

You should change your name from Iron man to "The Fall Guy"

Looks like US popular media has a name or two for all of Apoo's avtars.

October 06, 2008 6:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent! I definitely wanna do it next year!

October 06, 2008 10:49 AM  
Blogger Solitaire said...

I want to do it so badly but alas...no one to sponsor the $150.

October 06, 2008 12:00 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Memphis: We just jump together on the count of 3.

#Iyer: I had a third person jump with me to capture the photos/videos. It costs extra!

#dewdrop: Yeah! I did forget my countdown!
Its definitely worth a try!

#Tazeen: I'll stick with apoo :P

#Anjali: You should! Its awesome!

#Solitaire: I'll lend you $150. Just go n jump! (anyone else want something? I seem to be ina good mood!) And where can you jump for $150? Thats freaking cheap!

October 06, 2008 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 07, 2008 1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

next target ... do the same after gaining back your 30 lbs

October 07, 2008 1:16 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Abhi: That, I think, will never happen (gaining the 30 lbs)

October 07, 2008 1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, you actually did it. Seeing the photos makes me dizzy!

October 07, 2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger Neetal said...

Oye Mujhe bhe $150 chaiyen... aggar Khairat baat rahe ho... to sabko baato...

October 07, 2008 5:37 PM  
Blogger Neetal said...

@ Solitaire: Jump at 150 thats damn cheap oregon charges 189 without the video ... tell me too... I will jump with you.. as it is Apoo is sponsoring our free tickets...

October 07, 2008 5:38 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Neetal: Its not a free ride! I am lending the money, which means I expect to be paid back, when possible! Oh, now you have me in a bad mood! No lending to you :P

#DJ: Just do it. when you are up there, you dont feel a thing!

October 07, 2008 9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had niagara on my check list when i came to us...i guess i must hv checked that box atleast 100 times by now...

October 08, 2008 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...nice pics...looks like awesome fun too...
distant reality for me...India mein kaha naseeb hoga yeh!

October 08, 2008 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the guy on top of you is pouting in the 5th picture. did you guys exchange numbers? just curious.

October 11, 2008 1:01 AM  
Blogger Scribblers Inc said...

jesus blessed christ!! I want to do that!!!!

Scribblers Inc.

October 13, 2008 6:38 AM  
Blogger Solitaire said...

Its 150 in Houston!! Neeku come here fast and ask Apoo to send a check of 300 bucks...

October 23, 2008 6:54 PM  
Blogger  P said...

I so want to do this to commemorate my 24th birthday! Woohoo!

February 21, 2009 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home