Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Can drive, cant license!

My good friend Bakshi found himself in a confusing situation. I dont blame him, since I am confused too (altho' I serve as no benchmark). Since I am not the victim, I can afford to laugh it off.

Bakshi (I might sometime call him Adit) goes to get a drivers license (the test is in Syracuse). Now, the NY state law allows you to drive in the state on an Indian license. Not an International Drivers Permit (IDP) but the regular license you might get in Mumbai/Delhi etc. if you ever care to take a test. Just for the record, Adit has driven a hell lot in USA. As a matter of fact I have had the opportunity to experience his driving skills during our 4th July road-trip!

So where was I? Yeah... the funny/confusing/frustrating part. Adit rents a car from Enterprise ($50) for the day and drives to his test arena. How did he rent without a license you ask? He has an Indian license and he is in NY State(you need to read the above carefully). So Adit is face to face with the chap who is supposed to conduct his test. Lets call him Mr. Testy. So, Mr. Testy asks Adit where the accompanying driver of his car is to which Adit replies he is the only driver. Apparently Mr. Testy is alarmed that Adit drove all the way for his exam, without a drivers license. When explained that Adit has an Indian license the chap says he still needs a licensed driver with Adit to take the test.

So you see the funny part. Adit can rent a car. Adit can drive in NY State. Adit can speed beyond 65 mph and get a ticket. Adit can do all this alone. Adit can drive to the test arena alone. But the test wont be taken till Adit has a licensed driver next to him.

Not funny?

OK!

Check this
video. Its funny!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In hindsight, I think its funny too!
- Adit

March 04, 2005 1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In hindsight, I think its funny too!

- Adit

March 04, 2005 2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In hindsight, I think its funny too!

- Adit

March 04, 2005 2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home