Sunday, July 20, 2008

Desi Influx?

Grand Rapids is a city on the west side of Michigan. Grand Rapids is where I have planted my lousy ass for the last 10 months. Grand rapids has a 99.99% Caucasian population. I think I am the only Indian in Grand Rapids.

That was an exaggeration, but you know what I mean. In NY, every 5th person is Indian. In NJ, every 5th person is American. All others are desis. Something similar in DC. Having lived across most of these areas over many years, there has not been a day gone by when I have not seen a desi face (no, I am not talking about staring at myself in the mirror). In Grand Rapids, I could go on for months without a desi face. So you get where I am going.... right? No desis here.

Today I was walking in this mall and came across one of those stalls (do they call 'em stalls here?) where chinese women massage you (which usually looks more like they are practicing Kung-Fu on ya) or some women are getting some eye threading done on the cheap. This stall looked more like the eye threading one, with a resaonable number of women waiting for their turn. As I walked past, I stopped dead still, stared stared and stared. And stared some more. Three huge face close-up posters of three beautiful women pasted all over the area, showing the perfect eyes with perfect eyebrow threading. The women?

1. Bipasha Basu
2. Deepika Padukone
3. Aishwarya Rai

And a dozen Caucasian women seated under those posters, getting their eyebrows threaded.

On a different note, I just got back from the screenign of The Dark Knight. I felt its well made, but over-hyped. Yes, I like Heath Ledger's performance. I like the way he flicks his tongue out while talking. Like a serpent. Nice. I think I'll start copying that. At least during weekly meetings at work. And on first dates. Yes. Nice. I like!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Solitaire said...

Only Indian in Grand Rapids? Trust me its better than being in Big Rapids. I was there for some time. :(

July 20, 2008 4:52 AM  
Blogger Tazeen said...

i was in cony island (not newyork wala cony island but a small island off the western coast of Scotland) and i was the only non white person there. For a minute, i thought a kid is gonna come and take my picture to capture the exotica that landed on their island

July 21, 2008 12:40 AM  
Blogger Scribblers Inc said...

saare jahan se acha...hindustaan hamaara!!:)

scribblers inc.

July 21, 2008 1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bipasha ... bengoli rules ... before amir say this ...there I said it ...
dude the whole toungue thing on the first date .... na dont ... or it will be te 1st and the last one ...
Amit Sharma

July 21, 2008 1:09 PM  
Blogger Neetal said...

OMG Apoo... totally do the tongue thing ! Go for it Man! Do a slurpy one too =D

then let us know what happens on your first date !

This will give us an awesome entertaining post !

Oh! But before that do a test run on your weekly meetings :) You gotta keep the reputation and be effectively repulsive :)

July 21, 2008 1:20 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Solitaire: Why did u even go there? :S

#Tazeen: I have a feeling they should have my statue in Grand Rapids by the time I leave.

#Scribbler: you bet!

#Sharma: Never know man!! These days girls get attracted to weird things!

#Neeku: LOL! Lemme know when u visit Michigan, I'll do a live demo on ya!

July 22, 2008 1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

back here we do sell all sort of anti-dandruff shampoos using beautiful caucasian models in the ads with no dandruff on their scalp (of even their eyebrows)...

July 22, 2008 1:40 AM  
Blogger Neetal said...

:P !

July 22, 2008 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep let me knw who likes ... such things ...
Amit

July 22, 2008 12:26 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Iyer: So this is the Wests way of extracting revenge?

July 22, 2008 11:27 PM  
Blogger Solitaire said...

A boyfriend went to Ferris State!

July 27, 2008 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home