Sunday, July 30, 2006

Grand Canyon: The Sunset

Sunset Time!

Anjali* recently had put up a few (aweosme) pictures of
sunset at the 12 apostles. Sunset at the grand canyon I think is America's reply to sunset at the 12 apostles. Of course, you need Pals to make it the perfect sunset ever.

Like I had mentioned earlier, Pals is a Rain-God. Where he goes, rain clouds follow. All day, we had clear sunshine with cloud cover when it got too hot. Perfect. But as we lined up for sunset at Hopi point, dark clouds appeared at the horizon. This would mean the sun getting blocked as it tips over the horizon and we lose the perfect sunset.

The first snap, with the clouds and rain at a distance.



At this point I was beginning to get stressed out about missing a Grand Canyon sunset and about to toss Pals into the Canyon. But it seems the clouds sensed Pals presence and started moving towards us. This created a very unique phenomenon. There were clouds over us, but they had slowly moved off from the horizon. Thus the sun started to reappear again. You can see the rain fall on the left, and sun rays making their way out on the right.



And then, the unique phenomenon I was talking about. The sun rays actually reflected off the inside of the clouds and fell into the canyon, lighting it up like there were a zillion slabs of gold in the canyon. Pure heavenly sight. Cant be described, since no words would do it justice. Can just be felt. It was raining all over us, but the canyon was lighted up.



I didnt need to buy postcards. Who would have ever thought the rain would make the sunset so beautiful!

23 Comments:

Blogger anjali* said...

Wow! Awesome! This beats my 12 Apostles sunset shot hands down! Good one, Apoo!

July 30, 2006 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

naah... not done... i saw those scandolous fotos... am waiting for them to be posted in part 3 ;)

July 31, 2006 4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, now i'm TOTALLY ashamed of MY pix - i got an sms from anj to make sure i checked these out, and boy, i'm not disappointed at all!!!

great shots, buddy....!!! :D now if only i could blame my horrid shots on something....someone....anything!!! :P

July 31, 2006 7:48 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

Im totally spellbound.....! its BEAUTIFUL!

July 31, 2006 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats the pic i fell in love with ...sighhhhhhh

July 31, 2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Sonia said...

oh wowwwwww!

July 31, 2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Anjali: Thank you. Thank You! Actually, the beauty of the snap is proportional to the 'hotness' of the photographer. Jes wait till I head to the 12 Apostles and click a few.... :P

#Iyer: Soon, very soon. After the beauty (sunset snaps) comes to beast (Pals)

#Yvy: Read what I told Anjali. The proportion bit. Now you know who to blame! :P

#Exclusive: Thanks! Trust me, its better in person.

#Pooh: No no, that one u fell in love with had me in it!

#Sonia: I know, I know :)

July 31, 2006 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u wish:P

July 31, 2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

Surreal, Mesmerizing, Absolutely breathtaking !!

August 01, 2006 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where's pals? show him i say

August 01, 2006 5:07 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Awesome pics!!!

Damn!!! I shud have asked for something else..


:)

KJ

August 01, 2006 6:02 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

now with every1 talking abt those scandalous pics and rain man stuff ....i jus cant wait ...hurry up..!

August 01, 2006 7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

leave pals alone...grrr

August 01, 2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

is rain man = pals...? wow..! im waiting..bring on the pics..!

August 01, 2006 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, you are right! Pictures don't do justice to that phenomenon. I was at the Canyon a while back, and it is bloody overwhelming! Just Wow!

August 01, 2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger anjali* said...

Take a better sunset shot at 12 Apostles and I will be your slave for a month! :-P

August 02, 2006 4:09 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Pooh: Not really.... only when I am not in my senses :P
And stop siding Pals!

#Menagerie: I know. Many people have told me that. Now go take a look at the sunset pics :P

#Abhi: I am scared I might lose whatever readership I have if I show him.

#KJ: U still can :)

#Exclusive: Yes, rain man is pals. Ok, sometime soon... I'll get it up.

#Brad: :)

#Anjali: I am confused. Do you want me to take a better snap or not? Coz in this case, taking a better shot subjects me to a month of torture! Gimme a better incentive. :P

August 03, 2006 1:15 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 03, 2006 6:43 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

post the scandalous photos that all have been waiting for... :p

:)

KJ

August 03, 2006 6:45 AM  
Blogger anjali* said...

Sorry. I thought misery loves company. :-(

August 03, 2006 10:01 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

WOWIE!!!! And you've got it all step by step... awesome!:)

Have been to the Grand Canyon and also seen many pics of it, but never something as good as this... it really is 'grand' all the way!

Apoo...I'm envying you!;)

August 06, 2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

awesome pix..
update!

August 06, 2006 11:27 PM  
Anonymous Generic Lipitor said...

You have done Good Job Apoo..

January 09, 2012 4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home