Sunday, March 04, 2007

Trip To Amotherland

- I had mentioned it last year, I'll repeat it again. Mumbai is growing vertically with absolutely no planning. 3 storey apartments are being broken down and built again into seven storey ones. This is fine since the population coming into the city seems to do so at an exponential rate, however the infrastructure has not been developed to accomodate all this. And the city planning in-charge either has no idea how to go about doing his/her job or doesnt have absolute power to make decisions. However, when you break down a small house on one of the most traffic congested roads and build a mall... it shows how well the city is being planned. But, I still have great respect for us Mumbaikars. Pack an equal number of Americans or Europeans into Mumbai and am sure we'll fare a thousand times better than them.

- Few things make you feel pretty awkward, specially after spending a good part of your 20's in the USA. I was at this lounge and after too much of liquid intake had to visit the restroom. As I went about doing my job, one of the staff comes and stands behind me. He runs to the wash-basin before I could and opens the water tap for me. Next, he hits his hands on the soap dispenser while I hold my hands underneath it. Then he rushes and gets me paper towels to wipe my hands off. Perhaps I was supposed to feel like a king, but I felt very disturbed. However, the exponential fashion in which India's population is growing, at least the guy was getting paid. He wouldnt listen to my "I am ok, you dont need to do it", so I let him go about his job.

- I like the way some people try to convince you on arranged marriages. You meet a girl at a bar, or u meet her through your Mom, how does it matter? In the bar, you do the hard work, here your Mom has all the details from height, weight, age to whether she is Manglik. I like that reasoning. It throws a whole new perspective. Instead of me buying her a Bloody Mary, she gets me chai! You can find this logic only in India.

- I am disgusted of all tabloids, news channels and gossip aunties carrying Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan discussions. Going about on a temple tour and getting married to a Peepal tree all for Mr. Hairband wearing Abhishek, Ms. Rai could have had it simpler.

- My routine in USA for the last 6 months or so has been work 9-5 followed by book reading at Barnes and Nobles from 6-11. The only conversation I have is with the girl at Starbucks. After a few months even knew how I like my coffee so the little conversation I had was lost. I think my lifestyle has made me anti-social. Make that anti-conversant. I'll just sit amidst a group of people and listen to their conversation and nod. After a while I will keep nodding religiously while my mind will be in tristate. Reminds me of my undergrad lectures and most meetings at work. Anyways, I realized its high time I start getting back to social interaction and to the good old days when I could hold a conversation for hours.

- While in India, I managed to meet a few bloggers, which included Medha (who is a lot of fun to have around, has an awesome appetite and for someone who is not adept at travelling Mumbai roads did an Andheri to Kandivali alone - commendable!), Menagerie (who is another awesome person. She eats nothing and pays half the bill amount - worked fine for me!), Ideasmith (
This kinda sums up the meet) with Sensorcaine (who footed my coffee bill). In the end I did myself proud by ending up looking like a cheapskate in front of all the women!

- I did my bit of travelling by the local trains, buses and autos. I decided to hop onto a train in the afternoon, hoping to beat the rush hour. However, it seems rush hour lasts 24X7.

- I am however shocked at Abhi (my neighbour, not Bachchan) making demands for Chocolate Cake at 2 AM (We were returning from a bar, which might explain it). That really is demanding. I was even more shocked when he found a place which served chocolate cake at 2 AM. Which is one of the reasons Mumbai rocks. Any time of the day or night, the place is happening.



Next post: Non-Veg Theplas!

Labels: , , , , , ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am i the only one who did not pay for ANYTHING?!!! :p

Man, i should go out with you more!!! :p

March 05, 2007 2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW!!!! I am NOT the one who ate all the food!! YOU DID!!!!!!!!!! grrr.. going around telling people the wrong thing!

March 05, 2007 2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aah ... the cake story ....

March 05, 2007 5:20 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Medha: Thanks for reminding me.
You OWE ME money!

#Abhi: I could make that into a post by itself na?

March 05, 2007 11:44 PM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

You cheated me on the frankie, I will never forget that mister! Remember you owe me a dinner at a spot I pick in NYC !! :)

March 06, 2007 12:20 AM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

*Abhi - You were a cute kid!!

And hey thanks for the coffee, which Mr Joshi did not pay for either, Such a cheapskate..and he is proud of it! Hmmph!

March 06, 2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Menagerie: Heh! Sure, just pick a day your stomachs not doing well :P
BTW, you could pay me for the coffee and I shall pass on the cash to Abhi! :P

March 06, 2007 1:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aahhh...I missed the funniest blogger's meet!

March 06, 2007 4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sensorcaine footed my entire Lunch bill - she's the best of the lot. This is funny, so I gotta mention it. She puts her credit card over the bill. The waiter takes it, comes back, tells me the card ain't workin. I point in her direction. He thinks, I am screwing around with his head. So, he insists that I give some other card. I asked him to try again. It works. He comes back with a receipt copy to sign. I point in her direction again. He thinks I am screwing with him again. I take the copy, Sensorcaine signs it. He thinks we are now completely screwing with him. The guy just refused to believe that the lady could pay the entire bill! :-(

March 06, 2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Anjali: Yeah! U shud have been there. I would have made you pay for dessert :P

#Brad: LOL! Thats funny!
I guess I look cheap enough. No waiter came to me with the bill =D

March 06, 2007 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude tht is true ...mumbai rocks ... the place which I loke the most thanks 2 u is Cafe coffee day at bandstand ... thnks to u and amri ...
N dont worry soon very soon yur life is going to take a huge Uv ...

Amit

March 07, 2007 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You meet a girl at a bar, or u meet her through your Mom, how does it matter? - the difference is, my friend, you will never find the girl your mom chose at a bar.....in mathematical terms - they are 2 mutually exclusive sets...

March 07, 2007 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In addition to aditya lines
yeah,you see the girls directly on the TV, drinking. :)

- Amrita

March 07, 2007 10:45 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Sharma: why the CCD at bandstand? I could suggest better places!

#Aditya: LOL! True. U make my life difficult now!

#Chatter: Huh?

March 09, 2007 12:04 AM  
Blogger Di said...

ur comments section was hilarious! :D have actually been kinda scared of mumbai coz all i seem to hear about it are about the crowds and ofcourse the "spirit" of mumbai during the floods!!

March 09, 2007 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ajo,
The comment was in reference to context to ur earlier blog
"Apoorva Marries Movie Star.... NOT!"
Aditya said "you will never find the girl your mom chose at a bar"

so i added "yea, you will find them on TV, drinking"

Huh Huh! Ghanti baji!
:P :P

Amrita

March 09, 2007 1:01 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Di: This blog lives on its comments!
And hey, Mumbai is an awesome city. If you have never visited, you must! Dont be scared. The crowds you have heard of are real friendly!

#Amri: I aint no rocket scientist. I need things explained (how long have you know me now?)

March 10, 2007 10:42 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

how on earth do u get all of them to pay for your food?! what the hell...if i ever meet u ill make sure i leave my money at home. that way you either pay for the meal or u wash the dishes (just in case u try to be a wise ass and leave ure wallet at home too)

abhi..chocolate cake at 2 am? are you my twin??by the way...how much dust has that treadmill collected? ;P

March 11, 2007 3:30 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Mahi: Thats fine, leave your wallet at home and also leave your 6 inch heels at home. Wear running shoes, coz we'll have to eat and run!
PS: I never said Abhi ate that chocolate cake (but if he puts on some more weight, hell, u guys sure will look like twins)

March 11, 2007 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home