Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bloody Mary

Dad and me were standing on SV Road as Mom got some vegetables from the local vegetable seller. This kid, shabbily dressed, ruffled hair, street-worn out kinda look, definitely a teenager walks up to my dad.

Kid: Saab, joota polish karoo? (Sir, can I polish your shoes?)
Dad: (Shakes his head to a no)
Kid: Saab, karne do, bahut bhook laga hai (Sir, let me polish them, I am very hungry)

Dad looked around and saw the only conveniently accessible food spot was the vegetable seller.

Dad: Tamatar khayegaa? (Will you eat tomatoes?)
Kid: (Nodded a painful yes)

Dad picked up two tomatoes and gave them to the kid. My eyes followed him till they could, wondering if he would sell these tomatoes off for a beedi, or if he would eat them. When I saw him take a bite off the first tomato, I was glad, and sad.

Dad paid the seller two rupees for the tomatoes and we moved on. But my mind kept flashing back to the 180 bucks cranberry juice I had at a lounge I visited few days ago and the sad yes nodded by the kid for two tomatoes.

Definitely one needs to be thankful for what one has, and an incident like this would have surely made me feel thankful for all thats been given to me so far. But this time round it just made me feel that more than anything its people like us who can make a small difference and snowball it into a big one. Two tomatoes could feed one mouth. Could stop a crime, could hold back a tear.

When you are done partying on the first day of 2007, try not to throw away your left overs. You have no idea the number of mouths it could feed.

Everyone have a fun filled safe 2007.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!!

Sometimes we just fail to see how lucky we are..

Thought provoking!!

December 28, 2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger Alap Ghosh said...

Bastard guy ... making me cry in the morning ... HMMMPF ... Sniff sniff ...

You know an easier way to distinguish between the needy and the greedy? I can't seem to tell the difference and hungry isn't exactly an expression on the face.

December 29, 2006 1:56 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

one of your best posts yet.

December 29, 2006 3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy new year thakur saab

Mahi: don't insult apoo

December 29, 2006 3:47 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

Incidents like this one break my heart!
Happy 2007 everyone!

December 29, 2006 4:17 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

thakur saab????

December 29, 2006 4:18 AM  
Blogger HP said...

First Time Here..

A Happy New Year To You Too!!

Enjoy!!

Cheers,
HP

December 29, 2006 5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year, Apoo!

January 01, 2007 5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A different side to 'Joshienizer' - very thoughtful! I second Mahima, one of ur bests!

Wishing you and your family a Very Happy, Prosperous, Precious, Musical, Loving and Laughter-Filled New Year!

January 01, 2007 9:45 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Jason: Thanks!

#Alap: Needy and the greedy. U wont know it till u r a part of it I guess :)

#Mahi: Thanks!

#Abhi: Thanks Basanti! Wish u Happy New Year as well...

#Exclusive: So what do u do to minimize those heart breaks?

#HP: Thanks. You too!

#Smithy: Thanks! We'll meet soon!

#Deepak: Thanks yaar! Wish you a happy new year as well.

January 03, 2007 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thought provoking..

yes, we fail to realize how much lucky we are...I guess when we stay in india, we kinda bcome immune to these sights.
We bcome more aware, after staying away from home.

KJ

January 04, 2007 3:32 AM  
Blogger anjali* said...

Yeap. Counting our blessings. And be grateful for them. That's surely a great humbling way to kick off the new year.

Happy New Year, Apoo! :)

January 04, 2007 11:56 PM  
Blogger Seema said...

Waw real thought provoking one !
While on this n the Mumbai Marathon is just a few days away..we met across with the Charity group called Aseema we are going with for the Marathon n we had amazing statistics from them...a little like Rs.750 can feed 600 children a single basic meal..ever thought of Rs.750 so meaningfully..do we ever think of the worth of the monies we simply squander even without a thought!

January 08, 2007 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On?

January 09, 2007 6:38 AM  
Blogger Neetal said...

Poverty is painful. The sight melts our hearts.. just imagine people who go through it. It reminds me of weekend trips to home frm college... there used to be a 10 year old kid... who used to clean our compartment with his kameez, and then beg for money. Its a brutal Survival for them.

Anyways, I thought to link your blog on mine. I know I don't happen to know 'Know' as of you...but just thought... just in case if someone like me got bored doing regression analysis all summer might look for some entertainment on net.... and might bump up on your blog..

Seriously, More than the stories its the comments which cracks one up!

This, is (of course!) if you don't mind! (just don't wanna see another post talking of some random strange gujaratis ... kinda thing on your blog!)

September 24, 2007 11:25 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Neetal: Go right ahead. You dont have to ask permission! :)

September 24, 2007 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home