Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Fired for Blogging!

Wow! Its actually happening. People have been fired for blogging about their work. Surprisingly Google seems to be the new one to join the brigade. Mark Jen (who left his job at Microsoft) and took up Associate PM post at Google recently is rumoured to have been fired for blogging about the company. Here is the link. I have no further comments, except I better watch what I am typing on my work blog. Actually I could get fired for breaking NDA and then write a book on it. I'll make more money! I'll have a fictional part in that written by Bird.

Personally, I feel Google should not have fired the chap (if they have). Maybe warn him. If he blogs that the benefits Google offers are really nothing compared to those offered by Company X, I think he has the right to freedom of speech as long as he does not give out figures. I mean, companies themselves advertise, "The salary we offer is competitive to anyone in the industry". Its same as saying the benefits offered are not as good as those in Company X. Anyone beg to differ? Or is the problem that he compared stuff to a particular company X?

I think blogging is going to get interesting in the future. A blog will get you a job, but might also cost you a job. But some calculated risks have to be taken to get somewhere. No one changed things without taking a risk. Maybe Google will up its benefits/compensation package after this incident? I'll keep you informed if it does...! Heh!

Lastly, on a different note. Why did Mark Jen take up the job when he knew about the compensation/benefits scheme? If he took it solely on the basis of passion, then why crib about the benefits?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you know he wasn't warned?

February 08, 2005 9:42 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Valid point. Actually, I think he indeed was warned (from what one post on his blog says). Which is why he even took off the post. But if google's attitude has been - Here is the warning. And few days later - You are fired. I would say its not nice!

Warn him and keep him! Or just tell him he broke a NDA and Fire him!

February 09, 2005 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home