Tuesday, October 17, 2006

How I Love Pot Lucks

".....it would be awesome if she married John Doe"


Pot Lucks are always fun. I think the first pot luck I experienced was when as a kid we all gathered in my building playground and shared some food. Of course, the food was cooked by our Moms, and hence, edible.

In USA pot-lucks keep happening at the same rate Chase sends me credit card offers. The only difference between the two being I very much enjoy the potlucks, simply coz every pot luck I visit has a story and comes at 0% APR. Like there was one which I went for when I had no clue how to cook. So I made rice, mixed it with some salsa kinda sauce, added vegetables to it and it smelt awesome. Only, the rice was half cooked and I realized it when it was too late. So I named it "Half Baked Mexican Tequila Rice". Half Baked provided an excuse for the raw taste. Mexican provided an excuse for the use of Salsa. Tequila gave everyone a false hope that it had alcohol and Rice probably might be the only truth in that statement. Everyone ate the rice to the last remains. They might have shat bricks the next day, but they did finish it off.

The iPod might not have sold as much had they named it Apple Player and the rice would not have been eaten had it not been named "Half Baked Mexican Tequila Rice". This, by the way, is the closest I would ever get to emulating Steve Jobs.

Then there was another Pot-Luck where a guy got drunk and insisted he wanted to strip naked before everyone. When he was asked not to, he went abusing the host, picked a fight with everyone twice his size and eventually got tossed out.

Have I said this before - Pot-Lucks are always fun.

Last weekend a senior from my undergrad who also happens to be in Baltimore called me for a pot luck. Apart from awesome food, I came across awesome people. Most were PhD students from John Hopkins and from different nationalities. German, Irish, Chinese, Swedish, Indian, American etc. and by 1 AM I thought I had my share of an intellectual overdose (not really, we had fun!). There seemed to be a lot of interest in the Indian culture and there was a point when the discussion went to Indian names.

"If you want the best Indian names, you need to visit Mallus. Specially Mallu Christians."

"Why?"

"Oh, I know a family whose daughters are named Liby, Ciby and Diby. No meaning to it, just coz it rhymes."

"One of my colleagues daughters name is Algebra."

"Coming back to this Liby, it would be awesome if she married John Doe"

- Apoorva rolls over with laughter. -


There was a point where the dicussion was on ships and then on women and then on a ship loaded with women, to which one one pointed out, "That would give the phrase - Pirates in search of booty - a whole new meaning."

The Irish lady went home convinced that 'Spicy Chicken' is dessert in India.

How I love pot-lucks! Anyone have weird pot-luck stories?

10 Comments:

Blogger anjali* said...

Liby Doe sounds like a damn good name! LOL.

Sigh. The pot lucks I've been to have been quite boring. Especially those done for Christian fellowships, where I don't understand the significant of playing childish games.

But it's a damn good excuse to show off my culinary skills. Smirk.

October 17, 2006 12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only have childhood memories of pot-lucks, when all these aunties used to come over to my place and after lunch all of them used to play housie. The house used to be SO noisy!

But also, it was the perfect time to sneak out of the house, with our mothers being too busy with the game n all. ;)

October 17, 2006 1:03 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOL
oh ajo ajo, as much as you annoy me, you really ARE funny as hell :D
shit man i have such nightmarish pot-luck stories..involving my mom and her half-brained friends!

October 17, 2006 3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the guy who wanted to strip Takashi by any chance? Sure sounds like him? (ie, drunk, wanting to stip, picking a fight)

October 17, 2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

I totally avoid cooking at pot lucks, I will be the get wine, get chips, get 'whatever can be bought on the shelf' girl!!

I remember cooking for the first ever pot luck we had at Bschool, everyone made so much fancy stuff, and me and my roommate tried out a new recipe, cauliflower and tomatoes, it was a disaster! Plus the cooker blew up!!

Of course this is no indication of awesome I cook ;)

October 18, 2006 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paris, France. The winning entry at a pot luck was a fat roll of weed. Pedro abided by the rules, as he grew the stuff at home!

October 18, 2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Anjali*: The disadvantage of showing off my culinary skills is I get hit on women who dont know how to cook!

#Medha: And you sneaked out of the house and did what?

#Mahi: Hmmm... you shud blog about those stories.

#Banjo: Yup! Didnt wanna name him, but what the heck! Who else could be as unique as Taka?

#Menagerie: Ummm... ok. I am going to need a second opinion from a neutral person about that last line!

#Brad: LOL! That had me laughing. Perhaps I shud try that at the next pot luck!

October 18, 2006 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would bringing tullee to a pot-luck change the essense of having one?

October 19, 2006 6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no POt luck stories- but how's this- My kid's caretaker's called Lincy. she's GOt 3 sisters at home- called Bency, Jhansi and sincy. I kid you not.

October 19, 2006 8:21 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Abhi: No! Tullee is mandatory!

#Sensorcaine: LOL! I hope Sincy marries Ed Earley.

October 20, 2006 4:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home