Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Sacrifice Apoorva

As the days go by I am sure I could write a series on this one.

Scene: Roundtable meeting. Director, Managers, Leads etc. all discussing future strategy and past mishaps. From my past experience(s) when a growd gets together there is more argument and less conclusions. More cooks spoil the broth. At such times I have developed the art of getting my point across at the beginning, getting a collaborative decision and then enjoy the ruckus that follows.

Today was no better. At one stage the conversation trailed off to an area to which my team is hardly related. Standard Operating Procedures. Ok, we are related to it in the form that we have to follow the SOP's but thats about it. Read it, sign it, follow it. I personally have nothing more to do with it. Some of them I personally feel are too bothersome and make a mountain out of a mole. But whats there is there. If you have to make any amendments you need to pass through many layers of management (and QA). By the time its approved my grand-children will be in college.

Now there happens to be one such SOP which makes a certain process for our validation team 5 times what it should be. So some brilliant soul says, "We need an amendment." More discussions of what the amendment should be follows (by now I have found a very comfortable seat behind my Director, have my laptop out and am checking my schedule for the rest of the day). Somewhere I can hear someone say, "We need someone to volunteer for the amendment." That sentence had not yet registered in my head when suddenly this familiar voice speaks up, "Apoorva and myself will work on it and take care of it."

My eyes focus on this girl who is on my team. My own team getting me in trouble!! Even worse, I am the lead of that team. I really didnt know some people in my team hate me so much! Everyones looking at me and smiling. Its more of that, "relieved it was not me" smile. My Director who has always been ever-ready to have me as a volunteer says, "Since Lisa (name changed) has volunteered Apoorva and herself, we'll stick to that." Ha! My team member just sacrificed me! All I could say was, "I tried to hide but I guess it wasnt good enuff"

Microsoft Word, Editing, higher management and politically correct English. Here I come!

I forgot to mention, but on a serious note, my team is hiring. Anyone who wants a job on a team where you can put your lead to work, send me your resume and sample code at apoorvajoshi at gmail dot com. It would also help if you have good knowledge of SAS, C++, C#, VB, Web Dev. (HTML/ASP bare minimum), SQL, Oracle. More importantly, we look for passion and for someone who has a will to get things done.

And of course, if you are good at writing SOP's, send me your resume immediately :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Bird said...

Why the surprise? You have been doing this thing since childhood. Why the heck were you the captain otherwise? Because we needed a volunteer to take care of the likes of D'Souza's & Shah's. Now here you are all grown up & working, why the heck were you made to lead your team? For volunteering!!! Trust me, all this comes naturally to you.

May 18, 2005 1:27 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Arpi, I know what you thinking. But making me work extra in something I dont enjoy is not the ideal platform to ask, "What you doing this evening?"

Bird: D'Souza and Shah conversations I enjoyed. This also coupled with the fact that if I could not stand up to them my purpose of being on the team would be defeated. But now that you say it, yeah, I think it does come naturally!

May 18, 2005 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bird: stop using the word "heck"

May 27, 2005 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home