Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Whats in a Name? - (Part 2)

And now, carrying on from my name dilemmas, this is the second part of "Whats in a Name" by Apoorva Joshi.

Recently I was invited for dinner at a Gujarati family's place. And they made my ever favorite dish - Baingan (Brinjal). Just to let you know, I hate Baingan. I will eat Karela, but no Baingan.

Anyhoo, this is where my belief that I was a Gujju in my last life was also strenghtened. The word Apoo, resembles the Gujju word, - "Aa-poo" which means, "Should I give this to you?" in the literal sense. So when you want to give something to a person and need his/her permission, or need to ask him/her before giving it to him/her, you say "Aa-poo?" Of course, you should point to the object which needs to be given to make things clearer.

Anyways, back to the Gujju party. One thing which rocks is the food. Dal, Dhoklii, Khamand, Jalebi etc. and of course Baingan. Its an art to go around the uncle and aunties who are running around forcing you to eat more and avoiding the baingan. But years of practice has made me perfect. My plate had what I relish and I had the perfect seat, right in front of the TV. Suddenly this unknown auntie popped up before me, looks at me and says "Aapoo?" For a moment I was stunned who she was and how she knew my name. I hate those guessing games when people come to me and ask, "Do you know who I am? I saw you last when you were 2 years old" (seriously, you expect me to remember who you are?).

Anyhoo, I was looking at auntie who had just asked if I was Aapoo. And the first reaction was nodding my head acknowledging the fact that she had the right person. What I didnt realise was she had a bowl full of Brinjals in her hand and she was asking me if I wanted some - "Aapoo?" - (once again, translated to "Should I give this to you?"). Within a second of nodding and saying "Haan", Brinjals were in my plate.

She was pretty shocked when I exclaimed, "No, no, no, not that Aapoo." When everyone came to know I detest Brinjals I was made to eat them. When someone says, "I have made them with my own hands, you'll like them" its difficult to say no.

I went to get some water and some brat of a kid took my seat. Scary faces did not shoo him away. Nor did he exhibit any sympathy towards the sight of me standing in one corner eating Brinjals.

And you thought a name was just a name? Wait till I get to part 3.

On a different note. It involves a local train (as always), it involves nudity (for a change) and it is bloody hilarious.
Bird has finally penned down some more of his thoughts. So those of you who click on this link, let me warn you, the remotest reference made to me is not true!

4 Comments:

Blogger IdeaSmith said...

HAHAHAHAHA....*making appropriate sympathetic noises in between laughs*....did u manage to eat the baingan finally?

May 10, 2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

IdeaSmith: If swallow = eating, then yes.

Arpi: You just typed out my deepest fantasy!

May 10, 2005 10:34 PM  
Blogger Alap Ghosh said...

GAAHAHAHAHAHAHA :)

Aa-poo? Hoo tamne baingan aa-poo?

Whoever thought this innocent yet deadly (for Apoo) word would create such havoc.

Apoo, who the heck is Ideasmith? S/he's everywhere on our blogs. A serial stalker, hmmm....

May 18, 2005 3:03 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Alap, probably Ideasmith is the best person to answer that question. But yeah, ideasmith is not a s/he. Its a place (just quoting what I read in her comments).

May 18, 2005 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home