Friday, July 01, 2005

I-Robot, U-Robot, V-Robot

Its a program which drives a robot. If X then do Y else do Z. When things get too monotonous (and probably boring) we humans end up getting programmed too. Just got back from supper at Panera Bread. All you foodies, the Frontega Chicken or Turkey Artichoke Panini with the Parisian Mushroom Bisque - Apoorva recommends.

Anyhoo... enter panera or Mc'Donalds or Burger King, you have the standard smiling (sometimes!) faces behind the cash register. And all of them are programmed to follow a certain routine. Sometimes I try to group my orders together but it really doesnt help.

She: I could help ya... (gets my attention)

Me: Its gonna be the pick two (FYI's: You get to choose 2 items for a reduced price). Frontega Chicken and Parisian Mushroom Bisque, nothing to drink and it'll be for here.

She: You said Frontega andddd....

Me: Parisian Mushroom...

She: Yea... yea... and would you like anything to drink?

Me: Nope (rolling my eyes)

She: And will it be for here or to go? (smiling)

Me: For here. (return smile).


Well, at least the food rocked!


And tomorrow I am doing a two hour presentation of this new software before all the "women who are non-tech" at work (Read: Teach them how to use it). I dont know why I am blogging this (and perspiring at the same time). Some of them mailed in asking if lunch will be served at the presentation. Heh! Should be fun!

6 Comments:

Blogger APOO said...

Nicole: I have indeed worked at cash registers & dishrooms. At SU infact. So lets not get into that. I am not making fun of those people in particular (I am making fun of everyone around). When I am at work or driving or doing anything routine, I feel like a robot myself. I just used this as an example.

And there have been exceptional cases where people have understood "Frontega, mushroom, no drink and for here" all in one go. Its just being mechanical v/s being attentive, which is the core matter of my post.

Peace out. :-)

June 30, 2005 11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kids, stop fighting ... and arpi .. stop instigating

and arpi .. i dont know u .. feel free to ignore moi

July 01, 2005 1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very true...

i guess the guy at "Happy" must be doing the same thing to bird... and if it happens at "Happy", then its a "globally accepted standard"

bird, your turn please

July 01, 2005 2:10 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

I'm inclined to agree with Apoorva....its is about being attentive. The human brain is capable of processing more than two words at a time.

So AJ.....how come your presentation is for women only? Or are the techno-weaks all women? Sounds interesting anyhow....do post on it (the experience I mean, NOT the tech-babble!!!)

July 03, 2005 4:58 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Iyer, I dont have to speak in happy. I just indicate with my thumb & forefinger that I want cutting. Happy is too good a place to compete with US restaurants.

July 04, 2005 1:18 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Smithy: Its not that the techno-weak are women. This is just a coincidence that the group which has to learn this software has all women. Anyways, the presentation never happened, so no dhamaal...

Bird: I think this demands a post on "Happy" on your blog!

July 04, 2005 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home