Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Cheap Desi? Bad... very bad!

I had been to this place called Lancaster in PA last weekend. The idea was to visit an outlet mall which Rama had been talking a hell lot about. So it was Jugs, Rama and myself. Lancaster also happens to be the dwelling grounds of the Amish community. People who live just like the ancient times. Houses without electricity, horse-carts instead of cars. You wont believe it till you see it. It gave me a whole new opinion of mankind.... and America.

Anyways, back to the point. We get into the Van Heusen outlet. I like this shirt, so does Rama and so does Jugs. And it says 30% off. So all 3 of us say, we are gonna buy it. But after exploring other areas.

Now another part of the mall has another Van Heusen outlet. Same shirt, 40% off. Brilliantino! But here is the problem - only one piece is left. And its XL. None of us need XL (yes people, I have moved on from XL to Medium/large, so no more jokes about my weight). Suddenly Rama spots the shirt on a mannequin. The mannequin is stripped and the shirt is a medium size. Now the big question - who gets it? The one who spotted it (Rama) or the one who stripped it (Me). After making use of all my convincing powers, threats and "I'll wash the dishes for a week" dialog, I manage to grab the shirt. The cashier rings me up when Rama gets the brilliant idea. Lets goto the 30% one. If we buy more than $75, we get an additional 20% off on the whole purchase. All three of us buy the shirts, plus any other stuff we want, the bill is gonna hit 75 bucks (after the 30% discounts on each item). On that we will get an additional 20% off.

This is where I feel I should have paid attention during my mathematics class. The calculations were too complex for me so I gave in, made the cashier cancel my order (I have never got such mean looks ever) and headed to the other store. Now the tragedy begins. No Medium size here. All XL. Also, no mannequins to strip. Rama better wash dishes for a week now! (I have no clue why I am talking about washing dishes, when Rama stays in Wilmington and yours truly in Baltimore. Its just that washing dishes is been something I have been frightened with since I was a child... no wait, was that filling buckets o' water? Mrs. Khandwala, can you clarify? Thats another story, another day, or maybe Bird might oblige by typing it out as a comment).

Anyways, where was I? Yeah, so I drove 150 miles to Lancaster and all I got was an opportunity to strip a mannequin.

By the way, anyone close to that area, I suggest you check out the outlets there. They have all the brand names and stuff which sells for 50 bucks regularly sells for like 35 bucks there. Of course, if you are like me who buy stuff which is only $10 or less, it really makes no difference. And if you are amongst those who believe, "Why wear clothes when you can wear none" and belong to the opposite sex, send me your phone number.

Okay, I realise I am typing crap. Yes, I always type crap but I dont realise it till I post it. This time I realize it as I am typing it. You see, I am improving.

I need sleep.

Hugs, kisses and a pillow!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess the state of affairs down here in mumbai is the same...

ever since dance bars have been closed, people have to do with stripping mannequins only...

here a mumbaiite... anywhere a mumbaiite :)

June 14, 2005 1:38 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Rumpel, just the reason why I am waiting for darjan atlantic. :-)

Arpi: Right on! And proud of it!

June 14, 2005 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home