Sunday, June 19, 2005

CTRL+Z. I could do without it.

Sometimes some things just happen for the better. But we dont realize it. Luck disguises itself and we are unable to recognize it. When they happen, you feel like shit! Why me? And like Iyer would say, gimme a CTRL+Z (undo) on life. Maybe, maybe not. When I think about it, maybe it would have been nice to have an undo button. I might have become a Stanford Grad co-owning Google at this moment.

Anyone seen "The Butterfly Effect"? Great movie. Stars Ashton Kutcher. Its basically a story about him and his 3 friends. He develops the ability to go back into the past and change things which he feels would make the present perfect. The first time he does that, the present ends up getting worse. So he tries going deeper down memory lane and changing a particular incident. That results in him losing both his hands and the girl he loves falling in love with his best friend. So he keeps trying to change things in the past hoping the present would shape up the way he had hoped for. But it never does.

Today was the US GP (Formula 1). I had previously written about heading down to Indianapolis. I had almost booked the tickets. And then something came up and I couldn't go. I was cursing my luck, considering the fact I might very well not be here a year from now and it will take a while for F-1 to enter India (and when it does tickets will sell in black). Also, my favorite team and driver, McLaren with Kimi Raikkonen was firing with all cylinders. Disappointed I was.

And what happened at the race? Seven teams pulled out due to tyre/speed problems between Michelin and FIA. Three teams were left, Ferrari and two minnows. The crowd booed, threw trash on the tracks and Ferrari walked to the finish line - a result my 12 year old cousin would have been able to predict. And if I had spent my time and well-earned money in flying down to Indiana, I would feel cheated.

My plans getting cancelled and Iyers post almost had me singing the tune of having a CTRL+Z in life. But today I am glad there is no CTRL+Z. Really, life is sweet the way it is. Everything probably happens for a reason. Sometimes you know the reason immediately, sometimes it takes a life-time. I say just give it your best. What happens then, happens!

The last exam you failed miserably.... As long as you gave it your best shot, the rest doesnt matter. All successes were built on failures.

The friendship I made, that gave me a foe... as long as that taught you how to keep your present friends, as friends.

The last peg I had, that made me puke.... as long as you didnt puke on the person next to you :-)

We are humans, if we had a CTRL+Z we would spent most of our lifetime hitting CTRL+Z. Till such a point where someone would come up with a CTRL+Z for the CTRL+Z.

Learn from your past mistakes, but live your present to the fullest (and if you dont drink till you puke, you haven't drunk to the fullest).


PS: Maybe I could allow one CTRL+Z. If we could CTRL+Z the moment
Bird was born.... and this movie which Abbs is planning to make on me.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post...

lets start discussing about other shortcuts... "Ctrl + C", "Ctrl + V"... etc etc...

:)

June 20, 2005 12:46 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Just reminded me of this quote by Paulo Coelho
"Everything that had to happen did, and nothing happened."

June 20, 2005 1:29 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Rumpel, you are on! :-)

Bird, you need booze!

June 20, 2005 10:38 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

probably i do, but if you did not understand that statement read it again, compare it with all the good & the bad events of your life.

June 21, 2005 8:11 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Yes sir. I understand the gravity of that statement.... now I need alcohol ;-)

June 21, 2005 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know gravity is "gurutvakarshan" in hindi...

June 22, 2005 4:38 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

"gurutvakarshan".... nimboo-paani is having its effect!

Rumpel, u need to get into hard liquor man!

June 23, 2005 7:22 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Anand, if you are an experienced tech. the market is great. If you are entry level, I still would say I dont know many without a job. Market is on the positive side I'd say, but that again is a relative term.

June 26, 2005 1:43 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Looking at your answer to anand i'd say you need booze too.

Dont confuse them if you can't help.

June 27, 2005 6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home