Thursday, August 25, 2005

Extrovert Sensor Thinking Judge

Team dynamics. Good companies not only hire smart people, but smart people who fit the bill. It may sound cliche, but you have to fit into the team. Thats the most important aspect of hiring.

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) helps in determining personalities of individuals for better team dynamics. Have you noticed this one person who sits all silent in a meeting and requires huge amounts of energy to give a presentation. This person who gives an amazing speech but once the speech is done, walks into his cabin and shuts himself up for the next hour. Its not because he has a problem. He is just an introvert. If you dont give breaks after every hour, this guy will get drained out. Keep him with too many people around and it will sap up his energy.

The exact opposite for extroverts. People are their energy. They will talk their thoughts out loud. Keep them alone and they shall die. Know this and make your team work better. That was the goal when my company asked me to take up the MBTI.

The test breaks your personality into four types. And each type is broken into two. 0 is minimum (borderline) while 30 is the maximum in terms of score. An online test with about 100-120 questions with multiple choice answers were asked and evaluations were based on that.

1. Where do you focus your attention?

  • (E)xtraversion: These people tend to focus their attention on the outer world of people and things.
  • (I)ntroversion: People who prefer introversion tend to focus their attention to on the inner world of ideas and impressions.

2. The way you take in information

  • (S)ensing: Tend to take in information through the five senses and focus on the here and now.
  • I(N)tuition: Tend to take in information from patterns and the big picture and focus on future possibilities.

3. The way you make decisions:

  • (T)hinking: People who prefer thinking tend to make decisions based primararily on logic and on objective analysis of cause and effect.
  • (F)eeling: Tend to take decisions based primararily on values and on subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns.

4. How you deal with the outer world?

  • (J)udging: Tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled.
  • (P)erceiving: Tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and prefer to keep their options open.


The above is only an overview. And remember, you maybe right-handed, but that does not stop you from using your left hand. An extrovert could be an introvert at times. A Perceiver could be a Judger under certain circumstances. But what you mostly tend towards is the result of this test.

How did I stack up?

  • I am on the border of Extraversion/Introversion. Do they call that Ambivert? But as per the person who had come to make a presentation, I could lean towards the Extrovert side. I agree to that. I am always "hep and happening" but I need that little time to myself to think and reflect.
  • Sensing and Intuition - again a bordercase. Could swing either way. Likely to swing more on the sensing side.
  • A Thinker for sure.
  • And a Judger all the way.


Did that surprise anyone? At work everyone was pretty surprised on me being a border case for extro/introvert. Also that I lean towards the sensing side.

The whole group discussion was pretty well organized. There were some 12 of us in the room and everyone had to guess the other persons personality before the the test results were revealed. In my case everyone shouted EXTROVERT. He puts the Aussies to shame they said. I always knew the world does not see me the way I am. My best friend still has a hard time figuring out what I will do next, while I can read her like a book.

So finally for all those out there who have know me for years (or wanna know more about me), this is the summary of MBTI:

  • Decisive, clear and assertive.
  • Logical, analytical and objectively critical.
  • Adept at organizing projects, procedures and people.
  • Likely to value competence, efficiency and results.
  • Likely to prefer proven systems and procedures.
  • Focused on the present, applying relevant past experience to deal with problems.
  • Usually seen by others as conscientious, dependable, decisive, outspoken and self-confident.

I wont say all are right. The fourth and fifth points, I might disagree a wee bit.

If you really want to know more, go ask my MOM!

Also, what personality do you think you would fall into. I have this great book (Bird, I'll have you read it when I am in India) given to me by the person who conducted this presentation (for coming out to be the most deceptive of the lot) which identifies each trait of every personality combination in great detail and how to bring out the best in that person. So if you wanna know something about yourself, or simply, what would be your boss's weakness, shoot me an e-mail. But really. Think about it this way. Knowing your husband is an Introvert INtuition Thinker Judger might help you understand or predict his behavior. Thinking of taking a trip to Europe together? Let the thinker do the planning if you want it well organized. But if you are backpacking and looking for adventure, leave it to the Feeler.

And just to let you know, most CEO's of yester-years were ISTJ's. Hmmm... being an ESTJ, I missed it by one letter. Maybe I'll be the first to change the flow ;-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Bird said...

Appoo, I think there is this test on some site, although i forgot its name. Google MBTI will probably get you there. I remember having given this test one saturday & was waiting for the damn questions to finish.
About the book gimme the name i'll look it up on the net for any E-Book copy i can get my hands on.

August 25, 2005 12:57 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Thanks Kavin.

Bird: This book was given to us during training. Its kinda self compiled by the organization, not for sale (unfortunately).

August 25, 2005 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The closest you will find is on this link.
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm
The first hyperlink is the personality test related to this blog.
Do the test and get to know yourself better.
-Amrita

August 25, 2005 5:49 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Hmmm... that test is slightly different. Like you said, its prolly the closest. The one I had didnt have all options as yes/no. Well... my company was charged for each person who took this test.... so well, I guess there ought to be differences.

August 25, 2005 9:05 PM  
Blogger Arjun said...

Thint I'll be an IITJ. Missed it by one letter? Think the E-types make more dynamic CEOs, though. Good luck. :)

August 26, 2005 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are ESTJ brothers... cheers to that... we will have daru for that the next time you are in india

:)

August 26, 2005 9:08 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

ok ok OK.

so we've read about the good stuff *narrows eyes suspiciously*

do they give you the bad stuff too?
and if they do, why haven't u put that up, mr-thinking-sensing-all round good guy?huh?huH??

(umm also could i have my MBTI done? pretty pleeease?)

August 26, 2005 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont think i can ever get such glowing results in personality tests :-)

August 27, 2005 4:19 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Couch: U mean INTJ. Or are u getting your degree from IIT-J? I am confused if there was a pun to it :)

Rumpel: Bhaaaaaaaaaaiiiiii.

Mahima: You are the smart one to ask me that question! You know I hate smart women!! ;) Dont do that!
But seriously, there is no good or bad in this. The very fact I like proven systems or procedures could be a negative point in this, if the position is one where you need to innovate and think big. Its more about where you would fit in the best. And we have a an open position in my team right now. Wanna interview? If u get thru then u can get the MBTI done ;)

Deepak: Thank you. But trust me, u very well can.

August 28, 2005 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home