Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Blogger Vacation

We slowly approach our first milestone at work. Over the last month my role has shifted from that of a developer to that of a program manager. Coding has given way to Microsoft Word. Debugging has given way to sending some 50 mails everyday telling people to do this and do that. Fighting with developers and testers has given way to making developers and testers work together to meet our client requirements. Spending hours behind the computer has given way to spending hours at meetings which end up where they started. Incessant phone calls to the client to make sure we got the tiniest detail right. And then there is the lunch and dinners which you never get to attend as a programmer, when your client visits the company. In short, I was actually getting into management. Not that I didnt enjoy it, but I missed getting my hands dirty with code.

And it was time for my quarterly review with Director saab! From my
previous experience I knew I had to go about singing my own praise and not criticize myself. So I was on full song. My director says, "Good, even I like the way you managed things. I plan to keep you in this role for the next projects which follow." Geez! Talk about kicking yourself in the butt yet again. No more coding! Microsoft Word, zindaabad.

Was talking with Dad on the phone and I told him the same boring story as above. He says, "You can continue programming at home. But you can never learn management sitting at home. Specially after you are married, your wife takes over that department (ok fine, I added that last bit)."

Meanwhile, a NRI-Nanguys reunion seems to be coming up soon. Pals and Bakshi will be here. How many of you wanna bet that the weekend of 12th August will be raining in Baltimore? Its the
Pals Effect. I am putting down a few thousands on that.

Abbs has finally got his USA visa. He finally took my advice and wore a shirt which says "I dont booze, Save Bird from extinction, I am a Republican, I can kill Pals for free and I love Farro" with Farro's+GWB's pic to the consulate. The lady flipped! She didnt know what Bird we were talking about and volunteering to kill Pals made things simpler. Come next month and I'll have a booze-um buddy!

And with that I am going to be off blogging for a while (I can sense Bird rejoicing). My brain, heart, body and laptop all suffer from lack of attention. The laptop goes for some repair work (now is the right time since I have no coding responsibilities). This gives me time to get off my net addiction, take some time off and reflect on my life. Concentrate on some personal milestones. Also I can give time to my BharataNatyam dance class. Deep down inside I am scared it'll drive me nuts. Cant imagine getting up in the morning and not having a PC to check e-mail. We have become a slave of this e-World!

Of course, I'll be checking ya blogs and mail from work. Perhaps posting once in a while. So keep writing!!

And yeah, I was joking about the BharataNatyam part, altho it would be funny if I start practicing it.

22 Comments:

Blogger Madame Mahima said...

if you start doing bharatnatyam..then i want a video of it. i think EVERYONE here would love to see u dance.
also...u cant stop posting man! what am i supposed to read when im feeling down and low and upset and when life just SUCKS?

come baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

-A Loyal Fan

August 09, 2005 6:26 PM  
Blogger Anita Pillai said...

R u kidding!! It has become a routine for me to check ur blog everyday :(

So how long is this sabbatical going to be ...2 days hopefully!

Come back soon....

August 09, 2005 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apoo: i too lurv coding... now all that is over... life for me is word, excel, powerpoint, outlook, visio and project (all microsoft prods with proper licenses)... i still have the urge to code sometimes, but then life keeps moving... and now i am interested in the functional aspect (read verticals) of business, and believe me its much more interesting than coding...

other fans (including me): i think apoo wont be able to keep his hands off the keyboard once he logs onto blogger.com... my prediction... the next post is going to go online in one business day (used this unit to account for zonal time differences... and umm... err... to cover-up for any miscalculations)

August 10, 2005 1:26 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Ditto madame M, anita n rumple...GET BACK TO YOUR DESK AND POST!!!!!!!!

August 10, 2005 4:28 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

I understand, please take your time. Keep Abs there, forever, if that is the price of you not blogging.

P.S. Indian chapter of The Nanguys has a meet this independence weekend.

August 10, 2005 5:48 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Now I know how much you people love me! *sniff sniff*

First off I look like that frog in frogger dodging cars when I dance. Some of my dance moves are similiar to the ones where the frog gets hit by the car. So, Mahima and Garfy, no dance videos for y'all!

Secondly, I wont be blogging since I dont have PC access at home and find it unethical to do so from office. Thats the primary reason. Its not done outta choice! Sp Smithy, I can go to the desk, but I have no PC.

Anita: I'll try to keep it more than 2 days. :)

Rumpel: I prefer to code as I do higer level management work. then if my team has a difficulty in testing/developing some feature, I feel their pain too. just managing things doesnt give ya that pain, tho it gives ya other sortsa pains! And I am a geek! period!

Bird, I knew you would be supportive. Gonna miss Indy day and the meet-up! Have some more booze from my side. White rum perhaps? And dont forget to run around Nandanvan with flags in ya hands!

Apri: Kidney. I like this game. Now you name another organ!

Garfy: Who is Hima? Is she good looking?

August 10, 2005 4:17 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

hello? ever heard of CYBER CAFE'S.
the cyber cafe closest to where u are shall now become your best friend.
blog from there.
we demand it.

ps- we would still like your bharatnatyam dance video..umm..u know for er...educational purposes...to let people know what NOT to do
HAHAAAAAA

August 10, 2005 11:08 PM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Unethical????? Huh...?

August 11, 2005 12:44 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Yes Mahima. I have heard of them. I think they are almost extinct here. They do have cyber cafe's am sure, but the more accessible ones are Starbucks, where you walk in with your own laptop and connect to their wireless network. And would I ever pay to blog? NAH!!!
And no, u still get no video. I dont wanna be held responsible for any deaths!

Yeah Smithy, unethical. Whatever happened to your ethics huh??

Garfy: U like squished frogs? Its an exotic dish here.
So can u pass me her phone number?

August 11, 2005 5:48 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

ladies and gentlemen, apoo here is a lying cheating dirtbag.
over at my blog , he publicly announced that he would marry me and here he's trying to get busy with some girl.
tsk tsk tsk tsk.

i am disappointed.
the marriage is SOOOO off.

August 11, 2005 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apoo: you are marrying madame... and there was no post on either blogs... was it meant to be a total hush hush marraige like one of those celeb ones... but dont worry madame... if the marriage is called off... rumpy is always there to fall back on....



*provided apoo agrees to marry me*

August 12, 2005 12:19 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Ah...congratulations...oops too late. Apoorva, where's your sense of ethics, jilting a lady like that??

August 12, 2005 1:12 AM  
Blogger Arjun said...

And I third Mahima (as regards Bharatnatyam)!!!

And poor Mahi! Just read your comment at her blog!

August 12, 2005 2:47 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

rumpy...*heartbroken* i wish you and apoo a very long happy life together. i know the two of you will keep each other very happy.

smithy and couchie - oh the heartache!
*dramatic sigh*

August 12, 2005 4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

madame: provided apoo agrees to it... otherwise i will hop skip & jump and reach your blog... i hope you dont mind that...

apoo: now you have the ball(s) in your court... :)

August 12, 2005 4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can this happen? He is married to me!! Let him come home, I shall beat him up!

August 12, 2005 10:18 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

rumpy - oh no worries..anyones welcome to my blog, EXCEPT LYING SCHEMING ADULTERERS.

garfy - sorry to announce this but the wedding if off..its OFFFFF. ps- while ure out getting yourself some nice cute guys, get me one too please?

the wife...APOO HAS A WIFE?! this is too much.

August 12, 2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

LOL! LOL! LOL!

Mahi: Forgive me... I know not what I do!

Rumpel: I refuse to be Iyeropati! And that trip I had planned to India... its post-poned indefinitely! And with Abhi hanging around with u so much, I need to do a check on his tendencies!

Garfy: Lemme know where u find the cute nice boys. Where there are cute nice boys, there have to be cute nice girls :D

August 12, 2005 11:28 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Garfy: "All booty captured..." was there a pun on that?
And hey, I am still away. Just found that Aamir bit fascinating. Doesnt take more than 2 mins to put up a link... which I felt is OK! (You know, its okay to check office mail when u r on vacation kinda thing)

The Wife: Seriously, who are you? Where are you? U scare me!

August 12, 2005 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apoo: the vacancy was for iyeropatni not iyeropati... so you have one more chance... but in any case you are already married to "the wife"... chal hat natkhat... first give taang to wife and then think abt iyeropatni :)

August 12, 2005 12:10 PM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Huh...married??? *daggers at Apoorva*

August 13, 2005 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi PPL
All those looking for Appu's bhartanatyam video ....I have something better for U ppl....Appu's POLE dance video...
Any takers....

Amit

August 17, 2005 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home