Sunday, August 07, 2005

Smile, an everlasting smile...

Blame it on the coffee. I dont know why but I had a coffee at about 11 PM (Starbucks yoohoo!) and now sleep seems to avoid me. So what better to do than bore your lives blogging away. And since I am 100% awake, I will invariably type something which makes no sense.

I was a shy introvert when I first got to Syracuse. If some chick used to smile at me, I used to look the other way, while my mind would say, "You are a stud". But very rarely did I smile back. Only later did I realise that in America, everyone smiles at each other (unless you are in New York City). It did depress me when I realised I am not the stud I thought I was.

Back in India if you are walking at Andheri station and some kaku smiles at ya.... you run! No seriously, how many times do you see someone smile at each other (as strangers). But you know what, it makes one hell of a difference. The last when I was in India (heck, 16th August will make it one year), Merwans Cake shop and Mc'Donalds was a regular stop as you pass by (more of Merwans actually). The way people order stuff made me wonder if the people on the other side of the counter are slaves? But here is what makes a difference. Walk up to the girl at Merwans, before you place your order, smile and ask her how she is doing. Either she melts, thinking you are hitting on her, or she feels really happy. In either case, you get amazing service (not to mention a freshly baked cake). A simple smile makes a big difference.

I always smile and greet the girl who sits at the entrance of Ballys. Someday she works at the bar (bar for protein shakes and smoothies) at Ballys and its been more than once that I got a free sample.

So the smile can be very effective weapon. And it makes the other person feel that wee bit better. Of course, you have to be a little bold to use it. Sometimes its not returned.

But if you wanna take this one step further, you gotta move into compliments. Subtle, but mesmerizing. And more importantly, relevant. Telling the girl at Merwans that she has an awesome figure might not be the ideal thing. But admiring the fact that she can handle so many customers at the same time would work well. While the Bally's Blonde would be really pleased when she hears her workouts are showing good results.

Of course, intellect plays a big part in this game.

Woman: How are you today?
Me: Not bad, how are you?
Woman: Beautiful.
Me: Now that I could tell 3 months back when I saw ya for the first time.
Woman: *Gives confused look... like whats he talking*

At such times however solid that pick-up line would be, you look dumb! All you scientists who have done complex calculations by now to figure out who is the dumb one, let me tell ya, despite the other party being the dumb one, You look dumb!

Ok, I think the coffee effect is wearing out.

Love, hugs and a pillow!

PS: Bonus points to the one who can guess which song I was hearing in the car. The post and the title reflects it.

14 Comments:

Blogger Madame Mahima said...

boyzone - WORDS
=D
u know whats freaky??i was gonna put that title, but i decided on 'just a smile' in the end.
great minds apoo, great minds ;)
but yea ure so right..a smile sometimes makes a world of a difference..between a good day and a lousy one

August 07, 2005 4:34 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Bonus points to Mahima! Altho it could also be Bee Gees. Great minds I agree

Nicole: Stop stealing my pick-up lines...!! And no, that pick-up line usually results in a slap! And I am alittle confused with ya comments... are u using it on me or are u just getting my opinion about it?

August 07, 2005 12:07 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Nicole: Let me clarify too. The line wont work for ya... always works for me! ;)

Garfy: I say that to myself all the time. I am a self-obsessed mad-man who dwells in lies.

August 07, 2005 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apoo: i dunno how things work out there either at ballys or at SB... but smiling at strangers here is often considered rude...

i smile at a woman- she thinks i am hitting at her

i smile at a man - he thinks i am gay

i smile at bird - he thinks i am drunk

everybody has this preconceived notions about people out here... but i dont give up... i keep smiling (not to add some cribbing here and there)... but i never forget a well "meant" thank you... be it rikshawallah or mcdonalds or merwans or whatever...

(off track): do i see hostility out here due to comments in some earlier posts?

August 08, 2005 12:19 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Huh....words, words, words...that's all it ever is, with you men!!!!!!!

August 08, 2005 1:06 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

rumpy - u said u smile all the time =S that strikes as a little odd.

ideasmith - i KNOW! ALL TALK AND NO BLOODY ACTION.

August 08, 2005 5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

madame: the right word would be "stupid" :P

ideasmith & madame: we men use just words and no action to "live and let live" in the blogosphere... anything more than that would result in a "male bashing" post on ur blog ;)

August 08, 2005 7:08 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Smithy baby... u want some action? ;-)

Garfy, u have competition.

And just wait till I put up one of my woman bashing posts on this blog! Then they'll know! BAH!

August 08, 2005 6:11 PM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

To quote madame mahima.."Uh, help"...

August 09, 2005 12:48 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Appoo, its weird but hadn't u asked Mr.Shah the same thing you asked smithy, when he interrupted our cricket match?

August 09, 2005 4:10 AM  
Blogger Arjun said...

I second Rumply's penultimate comment.
Ok, let me illustrate:
Couchie: Smiles, Smiles, Smiles, Smiles and Smiles to a Dull Looking woman.
DL Woman (with an I'm-Miss-World-Stop-staring-at-me glare): What the hell do you want? Do you want me to call the police or something?

August 09, 2005 7:38 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

See my point Smithy. Women are never supportive to action!

Bird. Yes, I did. Only difference being, I didnt say "Mr. Shah baby,..."

Couchie, dun waste time on dull looking women.

August 09, 2005 10:32 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

*IdeaSmith maintains a dignified (and safe!) silence*

August 10, 2005 4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*rumpelstiltskin was not here*

August 10, 2005 4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home