Thursday, July 21, 2005

Build Me, Tear Me

Abbs latest post really got me thinking about this whole inspirational thing I had mumbled to myself few weeks back to keep myself on track.

Abbs wonders "The fact remains that deep inside we're grossly undercut and at certain levels, we choose to shell ourselves in." And do we do what we do just for convenience?

The current road I take to work (I-695) has been in various stages of deconstruction and construction. For as long as I have lived about Baltimore there has been some or the other construction going on and on. Some street is being torn up and repaved, some high-rise being constructed. All this means Baltimore is being taken care of.

The human brain is also a muscle. And like any other muscle, you have to push it past its limit to make it grow. You have to break the muscle to rebuild it into something stronger and something bigger.

There is a saying I believe in. If you aint getting your hands slapped once in a while, you aint pushing the boundaries far enough. To grow you need to pull out of that comfort zone. If you stay within your house boundaries, you'll never know if your neighbour has a beautiful daughter (ok, I made that one up!).

I try to read up anything which will help me (remotely) grow my skills. While interviewing people I like to see what side projects they are working on. I actively seek to learn from people smarter than me. I like to have many projects on my plate at the same time. Sometimes this has burnt me. But in the long run its helped me grow.

Picked up straight from Abbs post

(quote)
"Let not the high cost of failure halt your pathway
it is you who defines the paradigm of failure and its consequences
you can mould and decide which path to take
it is you, who has already defined and set thy goal"
(unquote)


If you look at something (roadways, buildings, code, people) and dont see any de/construction going on, then either they are dying.... or perhaps, already dead.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think this will easily qualify as one of your best posts. I couldnt agree more here. Its important to always push your boundaries.

July 21, 2005 4:47 AM  
Blogger Arjun said...

Yeah, that's an interesting perspective.
Some of them did sound greek and latin to me, though! ;)

July 21, 2005 8:49 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Thats what 'falling into a rut' is about. Makes me wonder whether cynicism, defeat and such things are just excuses cooked up by a lazy mind.

July 21, 2005 10:06 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Forgot to add...I really liked the metaphor of a road.

July 21, 2005 10:07 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Damn...again...keep thinking of things to say after I hit 'publish'

Your new profile pic ain't bad either...goes well with the post.

...there!! hopefully thats the last of my thoughts. At least my brain got a workout today...so perhaps I'm not dying yet!!

July 21, 2005 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

De/construction of code? if you have to keep changing your code now and then, dont you think you are writing bad code or not understanding the requirements well?

July 21, 2005 10:15 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Dan: Thanks!

Couchie: It was greek and latin :)

Smithy: Bhulakkad! My profile pic is so hot that it made ya forget stuff eh? ;) And after one reads ya blogs, forget dying, they will think you are immortal! Seriously!

Anonymous: You are right, but only from one standpoint. Our automation stack keeps getting revised as and when each feature is added or tweaked. Processess are changed to make them work better than the way they are working today. The developement team is always carrying out some small/big revision to their code to fix bugs or implement new features.

This aint mean one is writing bad code or not getting the requirements right.

July 21, 2005 10:46 PM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Yes, yes, apparantly I remind some people of the wise old man on the mountain. Now you wouldn't want THAT guy chasing you, would you? So lets forget that little comment about the 'hot pic' :D

July 22, 2005 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is SO TRUE!

July 23, 2005 9:28 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Smithy: Anyone wise would not chase me. And if its a man, thats a double not.

Mitzzee: Yes, everything on this blog is true.

July 24, 2005 1:43 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Touche.

July 24, 2005 3:08 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Hmph! Here we go again!

Nicole, get a life. No, seriously!

July 25, 2005 7:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Deconstructivism, or Deconstruction, is an approach to building design that attempts to view architecture in bits and pieces. The basic elements of architecture are dismantled. Deconstructivist buildings may seem to have no visual logic. They may appear to be made up of unrelated, disharmonious abstract forms.
see? De/construction of the Road was throughly intentional.

June 01, 2007 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home