Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Apoorva Caught Napping

Tuesday night and I lay on my bed, reading this fundaa about the message and the medium. And dozed off, to find myself awake at 5:00 AM. Lets VPN and get some work done I thought, till I found myself sleepy by 7. Half an hour wont hurt. Till I realize its 9 AM and I am half asleep in bed. Goddamnit! I have a 10 o'clock meeting. I barely make it on time (actually 5 mins late, but thats on time).

The core of the meeting is the design of this pivotal structure. Well, its so important that our Divisions Director was attending, so there! The lead of that feature is blabbing away while everyone is nodding. Till we come to this deadlock. Should we have "X" in our program, due to which "Y" will have to be implemented at a later stage, or should we have "Y" in our program due to which "X" will have to be implemented later. Now, time taken for creating X and Y are approximately the same. Each bears equal weightage and each will be used almost equal number of times. Lastly, none of them really have any significant impact in terms of design or performance. Now in such a situation, I wouldnt really care what you choose to implement. But suddenly the room is divided into two factions, one keen on having X in the initial design, while the other (you guessed it) desperate for Y. Sometimes these dicussions can get violent, but hilarious. Unfortunately this one went on for a good 45 minutes, while I like a silent spectator tried to keep myself awake.

Sleep dear sleep finally took over, and for a second I dozed off on my seat. How do I know? Because I woke up with a violent jerk in an attempt to stop myself from falling off the chair. And my eyes settled straight on Director Saab, who was looking back at me. Just as thoughts were creeping into my mind as to how I should frame my resignation letter, he started laughing. Not knowing what to do, I started laughing back. And all the arguments stopped, and everyone stared at us, wondering what was so funny.

Dir: Let me ask Apoo what his opinion would be. X or Y? And maybe he would like some coffee before he answers.
Me : I dont really care, because it doesnt really matter. Effort, time and performance is the same. All I would say is, I want an answer from the teams in 2 mins, or we flip a coin.

Director looks at Team Lead

Lead: Ok. Lets flip a coin.
Me : (controls laughter)

Dir: We go with X.
Lead: But if we go with X, then Y will....


Has anyone ever thought of carrying their bed to work?

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaaa pops ... how i can relate with this .. mann ... we're all in the same boat at times ...

September 13, 2005 11:51 PM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

HAHAHAHHAHA.....so can I! A tip...try chocolate, it gives you a sugar boost...or chewing gum, the constant activity keeps u from falling asleep.

September 14, 2005 12:28 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Yeah Abhi, I think office makes me dull.

Smithy: Chocolate gives me a weight boost. They have chocolates and cookies and peanuts and all sortsa food kept all over my company. Now I know why! Gum doesnt help. I'll end up sleeping and swallow it. I am destined to sleep in meetings

September 14, 2005 12:33 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

ive thought of carrying my bed to uni!
ill just force 4 guys to carry it around for me! it's becoming a habit
heh heh heh
*evil cackle*

September 14, 2005 12:42 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

Mahi: U evil evil evil woman!
U better be careful tho. Asking a guy to carry your bed around, following you everywhere, might look like giving him a hint for something else!

September 14, 2005 12:46 AM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

:O i didnt think of it that way!!! i just wanted them to carry it around so that I wouldnt have to do it!
oh blimey..
of course only Pervy McPervson here would have thought of it 'THAT' way.

September 14, 2005 1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ajo
I guess i will carry a bed to office if I have private HOT secretary ..... it can be put to good use during the lunch break...:)

n it will keep u awake in the meetings n eating cookies and drinking chocolate will not be a issue....

-Amit

September 14, 2005 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i do it pretty frequently... napping in office... but the good thing is that i have a small room and not a cubicle... but even then i make sure i take precautions... one hand on the mouse scroller and the other on the chin... gives you a look that you work...

as far as meetings are concerned... if you watch closely, every body clock is synchronised to nap one at a time... not all will nap at the same time... so i guess there is something called "harmony" in the whole process...

no carrying bed to work... saala laptop hi bhaari padta hai yaar... :)

September 14, 2005 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 14, 2005 12:47 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Amit: True, very true!

September 14, 2005 8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seemed straight from my own life... these meetings, ufffff!

September 14, 2005 10:20 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Garfy: Fuel surcharges. now that sounds like an interesting topic of debate! Would keep me awake!

September 15, 2005 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home