Wednesday, August 23, 2006

For A Change

When I look back at certain events or people 10 years ago to what they are now, I am shocked on how my guess went so wrong! In 10th grade, when you are the all famous brat making all the front benchers tremble at your sight and when you spot this little wouldnt harm a fly kinda silent guy staring at you with an expression that he is gonna piss in fear if you take another step closer, at that very moment you know that this guy is gonna grow up to be a doctor, get married by the age of 25 to the girl his parents choose, oil his hair all his life and have kids when his parents say its the right time!

I recently made up a profile on Orkut and have had people popping by in tons, people I had no clue had even survived their 12th grade are working as financial wizards up on Wall St. And its done my ego no harm to realize someone actually does a search on my name and says hello! And when I look back on my self-imposed opinion about most of these people, I think I been so wrong!

A friend 'scrapped' me about a month ago, saying he saw my profile and was in Baltimore. We were soon having dinner together. The last I spoke to him was in 1995-96. We were together in Jamnabai. Played cricket together. He always got me run out! He was the most silent chap I had ever known. South Indian, shy, perfectionist at Maths, thick specs, oiled hair. I could never recollect him speaking to the opposite sex.

But the guy I met at Baltimore - the hair oil had given way to hair gel. The specs were replaced by contact lens. The waitress who attended our table, he found her to be beautiful and he made it a point that she knew his opinion about her. He was getting married in a month to a Punjabi girl he had met whilst pursuing his graduate degree. He is probably married as I type this. The only thing which remained the same was we (also) spoke about Mathematics and Statistics.

No doubt. I was surprised.


I met Nipun during my engineering days. I remember him being someone who could very well end up being in his own world. Slightly long hair, hoarse voice, he loved playing the guitar and composing his own songs. Every year at the college festival, he would walk up on stage with his guitar and sing a song no one had ever heard. Simply coz he wrote the song himself. And irrespective of whether the crowd booed him or cheered him, he would walk off with a simple thank you.

It was the age my parents had strictly warned me about the hazards of alcohol. When they would keep an eye on me to make sure I had not taken up smoking. It was the same age when Nipun would be more than happy to be drunk as and when required. I dont recollect if he burnt tobacco to ash, coz I usually stay away from cigarette smoke, but am sure he did. When I graduated, I expected Nipun to end up as a rock-n-roll kinda guy, having kids he didnt know about.

But then, he scrapped me on Orkut. And I saw his photograph. All dressed up in formals. Hair cut, all short and trim. He works as a Business Analyst in Atlanta. And the biggest shock of all. A book written by Nipun selling on Amazon!
Hindu Histories - the Beginnings. If it said - "How to get drunk without a hangover" I would still not have been too surprised (nd expected a best-seller). But Hindu Histories - by Nipun? I have not read the book to comment about it but its definitely on my to-do list now.

Some changes are so unexpected. Its like Paris Hilton becoming a nun!

Some things come across so unexpected. Many people who have got in touch with me over orkut have changed so very much. Most, for the better. It was
Anita who sent me a mail to join up on Orkut. And its been worth creating that account. Anita, if you are ever in Baltimore, dinners on me!

17 Comments:

Blogger Miss M said...

Oh, Orkut IS amazing!! Got in touch with friends i have not seen in like seven to eight yearss.. And it feels sooo good to get in touch with all the friends i practically grew up with in school.

:)

August 23, 2006 4:33 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

why is everybody suddenly joining orkut....? i think i must hav written less than 10 scraps...! whoa!

August 23, 2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

I so agree, Orkut is fun! Alos kinda addictive though. I must have met up with people I knew only via friends.

Keep scrapping pal !!

August 23, 2006 5:41 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Medha: I feel for your friends. They must have felt so relieved when school got done and u were gone for good. And now u r back thru orkut to torment them :P

#Exclusive: Stay updated with the latest girl... or be left out!

#Menagerie: :)

August 23, 2006 10:45 PM  
Blogger Miss M said...

u asss! idiot!

August 24, 2006 1:47 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

y wud I wanna stay updated with the latest girl..ummm btw who's latest girl r u talkin abt ..? yours..? :p

August 24, 2006 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now got the use of ORKUT...
its not for getting females its to scrap old friends ...

Dude would u be suprised if in few years u hear tht I production house similar to Vivid n I start in all my movies ;-)

Amit

August 24, 2006 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

on a serious node...2day is a reaction of yur actions in the past ...
So think 2day for yur future ....
Nah BS ...just go with the flow ..;-)

Amit

August 24, 2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

life changes, priorities change...

Have been hearing so much abt Orkut, but Orkut is blocked here in UAE... :(

Have a nice weekend....

:)

KJ

August 25, 2006 4:53 PM  
Blogger Anita Pillai said...

Puurfect...I shall find out the most EXPENSIVE restaurant before I plan my trip to Baltimore :D :D :D

August 25, 2006 8:13 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Medha: Stop talking to yourself :P

#Exclusive: No PJ's on this blog. The right to PJ's lies solely with the author.

#Amit: No I wouldnt be surprised. Iwould be surprised if it was Vividh - as in Vividh Bharati ;)

#KJ: Leave UAE, migrate to USA ;)

#Anita: I already know the restaurant. Not a problem, we can head there.... just be ready to run when the check arrives :P

August 26, 2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

orkut is ok..a bit slow (prob coz a lot of my friends thing orkut is a turkish dish.)

how come you're always so eager to treat your girl friends to dinner

yea..its true tho...you never actually know people are gonna end up..forget 10 years..just look at someone 5 years into ure past..chances are they've changed by leaps and bounds..

August 27, 2006 12:06 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Mahima: Now now... just coz people refuse to add u on at orkut doesnt make it slow :P
Its not female group of friends who get treated.... anyones welcome. I make a very warm and friendly host. Even if you ever visit Baltimore, dinners on me.
(Also, before I extend invitations I calculate the probability of people actually landing up in Baltimore :P)

August 27, 2006 12:39 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

ha ha ha ha ha!!!

August 27, 2006 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats so true man...but the important thing to ponder upon is...have times changed since or has time changed you ??? and no both things are not the same....

-Aditya..

August 27, 2006 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah, you too on Orkut? It seems to be catching up fast!

But what does the other side think of you? Same or changed ? ;-))

How's life? Me trying to settle in Agra now!

August 28, 2006 3:00 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Aditya: I need to know which Aditya you are.... then I shall answer that question accordingly! :)

#Jeswalji: The other side... well, good question. Need to ask...
Agra... do I see some beautiful description of the Taj coming my way? Altho... be sure to blog about the city and the people and how it is to move in there... would love to hear what a guy who's been living in a metro say about moving to Agra...

August 28, 2006 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home