Saturday, April 14, 2007

Like Son, Like Father

Few days ago Dad mailed me a write-up (MS Word doc) about this small city in Gujarat called Mandvi. As a background, Mandvi is where Dad spent a good part of his childhood and teen years. My grandmom and grandad spent a good part of their life towards the build-up and progress of a school in Mandvi (called - Khimji Ramdas Kanya Vidyalaya).

I visited Mandvi once - in 1993 and loved the entire experience. Loved the city, the people and the general warmth of the place and its surroundings. For a while its been on my mind to write about Mandvi, or just that trip in particular but I dont do too well with travel-blogging.

Anyways, coming to the point, my Dad sent me this word doc which had a small article about Mandvi. I read it, found it to be nice and sweet. And then I read it again after few hours, and few days, and somehow felt I identify with some parts of this. And sent my Dad a reply, asking, "Did YOU write this?"

"Yes, who else could?", came the reply which was followed by another write-up, which could be a stand-alone but went well as a continuation to the first one. Excited as I was (perhaps since Dad was doing what I had wished to do since a long time - yes, we work differently in my family. As they grow up, usually kids fulfill their parents wishes, here its the other way round), I told Dad he needs to publish this somewhere.

"Who will want to read this?"
"If you dont, I will paste it on my blog"
"Who on your blog will want to read about what I did in Mandvi?"
"Then publish it where someone would want to read! Else I will post this on my blog!"

I guess that scared my Dad enough! And he sent the first article to Times Of India. And lo! What do we have today? Its up in print in India's leading newspaper!

Click here for the article.

Heres to hope - that they continue printing the follow-up articles.
And that someone does a movie on it and it gets famous like Harry Potter and Dad becomes a Billionaire which indirectly means I can realize my dream of retirement by the age of 30 and open a tomato farm.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mandvi.. hmm, if i didn't know any better, i would have thought its a marathi word for some veggie! :P


Anyways, the article was such a nice read! :) Ask your dad to write more often!

April 14, 2007 5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah good one dad!..im gonna try to get him to adopt me so the billions can come my way too hahhaha!!

April 14, 2007 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ask your dad to blog... at FatherOfHeartCurry... we'll go there instead of comin here...

waise bhi tu bahut khapane lag gaya hai :P

April 14, 2007 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know my real name is not Brad, right!

With your dad getting to be a billionaire and you retiring early, you'll definitely need friends around you (managing the tomato farm and by that I mean, handling your revenue n tomato-tax issues) I just thought I'll clarify that. :P It would sound all so selfish and inappropriate after your dad becomes a billionaire, you see!

Kudos to your dad!

April 16, 2007 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto Medha. I didn't know Mandvi either. To me, it sounded more like a Gujrati dish ;-P

But damn cool! Debut article in TOI! Wow! Many congrats!

BTW, tomato farm?! Not Thepla farm? ;)

April 17, 2007 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummmm.... So when do i get my BMW z4 from you.... i am waiting...:p

-Amrita

April 18, 2007 5:52 PM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

Maybe your dad should take over this Blog from you :P

Liked his article :)

April 19, 2007 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome !!! Do tell uncle that was very well written, & if there r more, defi post on ur blog.

April 25, 2007 1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice. Do post the consequent links as well.

June 13, 2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Apoorva,

You don't know me but I came across your blog when I was searching for Khimji Ramdas Kanya Vidyalay online. My mom went to that school almost 40+ years ago and I was interested in finding about more about it. It is such a lovely coincidence that your grandparents were involved in the school. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?

We live in the United States now and I hope to be able to go back one day and visit the places of my mother's childhood.

December 14, 2008 10:21 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Deepa,

I do have quite a few pics and I have a feeling your mom would know my grandmom and grandpa. Just tell her 'Joshi'. That should do it :)

Your blogger profile does not have access enabled to public, hence no idea what your e-mail id is. But if you let me know or mail me at apoorvajoshi (at) gmail (dot) com, I could mail you the photos and more info.

There are quite a few students from Khimji Ramdas who have settled in the USA now (mostly in NY/NJ). Perhaps your mom might know them.

Anyways, email me and I can share more info (am a little hesitant doing it on a public forum) :)

December 14, 2008 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home