Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Satisfaction

You take up a job with the immediate benefit of compensation. The larger picture (in many cases) is to provide a certain service to millions around you. Sometimes you take up a job for the personal challenge it has to offer. And somewhere down the line, a certain level of frustration kicks in as the going gets rough. And you might wonder if this is what you actually set out to do. Is it really reaching out? Helping someone? Are my 12 hours a day, 7 days a week worth it?

And then your customer service will send in this email to your group (drug, personal and company names masked for obvious reasons).

(Quote)

Hello. I am a stage II breast cancer patient. For the first 4 weeks of my dose-density regiman, I was on a weekly treatment with XXXX and YYYY, along with the anti-nausea medication OTHERDRUG. I had a lot of difficulty with nausea, a little vomiting, but just generally like a constant state of morning sickness. I took OTHERDRUG at home, also. Last week, I was switched to OURDRUG to better manage my symptoms.

I just wanted to let you know that I had my chemo today. I also caught up on the laundry, did the dishes, and went out for dinner!!! I love OURDRUG! It's really making it possible for a very impatient woman to make her way through 24 weeks of treatment. I have N children and M+ grandchildren. I have lots to live for and cherish the opportunities to spend time with them. I sincerely thank you for your gift to the cancer care world of this wonderful medication!

PATNAME
Patient, XXX Cancer Care Alliance

(UnQuote)


I guess its worth it. Definitely, worth it!

Note: Those unaware of it, I work in Drug R&D and not Software or IT. And Drug R&D is not trying different forms of grass.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!
It sure does make everything worth it! :)

April 11, 2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

Apoorva , you simply rock !

*hug*

April 12, 2007 8:22 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

And that's what makes it all worth it. Absolutely!
PS Loved the 'note' down at the end :)))

April 12, 2007 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you know that OURDRUGS are tested on poor indians esp cancer OURDRUGS because we are cheap and unpadh.

April 12, 2007 2:44 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Medha: Yes it does.

#Exclusive: Thank You. But its not just me! :)

#M: :) It sure does.

#Neel: Its possible. I wont disagree. However, for a drug to get FDA approval in USA - it has to run through various clinical phases (what you have called as testing) across an American population. Hence, if its tested on Indians, it is very much tested on Americans as well (cheap or not, unpadh or not). Drugs tested across an Indian population will invariably not be approved for release in USA untill they are 'tested' in the same manner across US.
However, you probably are missing the point of this post. If you have more questions, feel free to email me.

April 12, 2007 6:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. You must feel like a million dollars. And maybe two. Great letter!

P/S Are you sure working in Drugs R&D does not equate to trying different forms of grass?? Then explain why you looked stoned all the time, especially in the new ape pix? :-P

April 13, 2007 1:29 AM  
Blogger exclusively_me said...

of course , i realise that. im not that dumb, u knw!
:)

April 13, 2007 9:09 AM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

It's nice to learn how your work contributes to the community.

It's nicer to have evidence of the same in form of a heartfelt letter.

Good going OURDRUG :)

April 13, 2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger Di said...

hmm..good going...we get the same feeling at Tech shows.. :-/

April 13, 2007 9:04 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Anjali: Yupp, sure makes me feel like a million bucks! And dont make fun of my 'normal' look :P

#Exclusive: U R not dumb? Really? And u have to tell that to people? :P

#Menagerie: Yep, sure does :)

#Di: I can identify with that feeling :)

April 14, 2007 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home