Sunday, December 11, 2005

Why Me?

So I was at a club. I see this very hot girl at the other end. I think, either she is real or I am a little too drunk. So I walk to her and ask her for a dance. She say - "No, I am Sorry." I make all sad face. Girls always fall for the sad Apoorva face. She gently run her hand through my hair. I think, its working. She smile and say, "Its not you. I am just not into men." I thought....

Why Me?


The first job I had, they laid me off in 2 months. A sudden change in management had them outsourcing their projects. I thought....

Why Me?


My last girlfriend left me and started going around with my best friend. My best friend is a girl. I thought....

Why Me?


(Ok, I made that last one up!)


But, there has always been a point in everyones life which has made us ask the inevitable question to ourselves. "Why Me?" My friend lost his dad in the Mumbai bomb blasts. His Dad had walked out of the bank when he realised he has forgotten to return the cashiers borrowed pen. He went inside to return it and rest is tragedy.

A friend of mine from school died when the gas cylinder at his place exploded. His Dad, Mom and he were fast asleep when the gas leaked out. His Mom survived.

My grandfather used to tell me about a friend of his who had to get his left leg amputated. In the worst of errors, they amputated the right one.

Suddenly the "Why Me?" which we keep saying sounds very trivial right? But rest assured, there is an answer to it.

The other day I was out with a friend of mine. The topic of the evening was tragedy. Well, to be more precise, Tragedy in Her life. Thank God for making alcohol for such times. She kept going on about the "Why Me?" situation of her life, till I casually said, "Its you because you can take it and can come out of it."

How true. Its you because you could take it. Because you would come out of it. When I lost my job, I wondered why me. I had just bought a car, had monthly payments to make, had to make a sudden dash to India and at the back of my mind, wondered how I would get through without any cash inflow. At that moment, it was a complete "Why Me?" situation. Hey, two years later. I survived. And the car is still mine. :)

My friend who lost his Dad, he passed his 10th, his 12th and got his engineering degree from the same college as mine. Last I know, he is in USA. Doing well.

Its you because you are strong enough to handle that situation. And passing through that phase will only make you stronger. During that instance of tragedy, we limit our thoughts to that very moment and usually blind ourselves to the future. So the next time you feel like saying, "Why Me?", hold back and say, "It'd rather be me, coz someone else might not have been able to take it". Work on the solution rather than drown yourself thinking about the problem.

You crib because you are single? Its teaching you to be one hell of an independent person. Look at opportunities which you can make use of which couples cant!

You crib because your girl/boyfriend left you? Its hardening you to face the delicate bond of relationships, teaching you how to handle them better. Perhaps showing you something new about yourself.

You crib because your girlfriend took you shopping for jeans? Oh well, you at least made friends with the lady selling General Tso chicken.

Till then, just remember, the next time you say "Why Me?" there are many people who are worse off and would rather be in your shoes. Make the best of every obstacle to build yourself into a robust being.

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am thinking the same thing after reading this... WHY ME?... WHY DO I HAVE TO READ THIS? et al

on a serious note... ekdum solid post bhai... you seem to be on a roll (aka shahrukh khan)... hit ke baad hit.... hit ke baad hit... fultoo...

December 12, 2005 1:36 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

I don't like this. Its too postitive and not cribby enough for a Monday. :(

December 12, 2005 2:08 AM  
Blogger Alap Ghosh said...

Thanks man ... :)

December 12, 2005 4:39 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Apoo,

bhagwan ne hamari prayers sun li aur tumhe sadbuddhi de dee.... *evil grin*

hamara puranawala apoo kahan hai???
:-((

puranawala apoo jaldi bhejo wapas, jo hamein khoob hansaata hai....


KJ

December 12, 2005 5:43 AM  
Blogger Arjun said...

Nice post. But definitely a sadhu version of the puranawala Apoo, though! ;)

December 12, 2005 8:28 AM  
Blogger Lord of all Things said...

hmm serious..!! cant comment on such post yaa!!

December 12, 2005 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sudden change of tone! But a good one!

December 12, 2005 8:53 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

this post may b posted by apoo's alter ego called "PAPOO"

:-)

December 12, 2005 9:15 AM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

Inspiring post.

Somehow don't you wonder though that you would rather not have the strength to deal with it, just so that it doesn't happen to you?

However, I agree with ya, stuff makes you stronger.

December 12, 2005 9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ALways thought "Why me" and u answered it. Loved the line "Its you because you are strong enough to handle that situation. And passing through that phase will only make you stronger"

Have been following your posts since long but this one line made me write to you. "Thank You"

Rhea

December 12, 2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#I-I-I-Iyer: (say that Shahrukh style) You have to read it because.... you can read it :-D
Yeah, he is the Badshah of Bollywood, I'll be the badshah of bloggywood (ok, bad one)

#Idea: I love Mondays!

#Alap: Sure bhai... anytime!

#KJ: Ok, Ok, my next post will be poorana walla Apoo maafik. Just for ya!

#Couch: Now, stop taking that beard of mine seriosuly and calling me a Saadhu. Thank You anyways.

#LOAT: U just did :D

#DJ: Thank You sir. Its in tune with the winters here. Suddenly everything goes cold!

#KJ (again): OK. I have no alter ego. I have an imaginary friend who my parents like more than me! But no alter ego!

#Menagerie:Thank You ma'am. I know it will happen to me. And I would rather have the strength for it. To strenghten every muscle you have to first break it. Break it till it hurts, be your biceps or your brain. So is it with life. It has to be broken in some places to build it into something worthwhile.

#Rhea: Hey!! Thanks for reading, and for commenting. I am glad I could write something you could identify with and found helpful :)

December 12, 2005 6:53 PM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

You on a roll kya, ek ke upar ek fundu lines. I can't believe someone who is doing black magic on my India trip is writing such good stuff and I am complimenting him. Ye acchi baat nahi hai.

December 12, 2005 9:21 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Demi: Nothing hidden behind that smile me hopes!

#Menagerie: Just trying to impress you ;)

December 12, 2005 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last girlfriend left me and started going around with my best friend. My best friend is a girl. I thought....

Why Me?


i know this is made up, but this just adds justification to the point that bird and abs like to refer to you as "Ross" from friends... and btw "Why Me" happens to be one of the fav lines of "Ross" ;)

December 12, 2005 10:55 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

OK. I have been compared to Joey (for my dumb self), Chandler, for one-liners and now Ross.
Now lets see what I could do to end up like Monica, Rachael and Phoebe. Iyer, u wanna write a post on that (since it seems u have nothing to write about nowdays anyways)

December 12, 2005 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

correction: i dont know if somebody else has compared you with joey and chandler (over even the duck and the chick), but ever since i got to hear abt u from bird and abhi, you have been ROSS... and this could just be an idea for the next post... thanks pal (or thank pals or whatever)

December 12, 2005 11:11 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Go for it! Go for it!
Dont bring pals into this and traumatize me!

December 12, 2005 11:16 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

thank god.... that apunka puranawla apoo jaldi waapas aayega...

mereko laga that the snow is affecting your thought process....
;-)

KJ

December 13, 2005 1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Apoo, just happened to see ur blog after a pretty long time.
oh well,.. for the "Why Me",.. i don't say that ever. Life's gone through a lot of crap and what i noticed is that with every single god forsaken incident that i've been through i came out of it stronger than ever b4.
& here's my 2 cents : any experience is a good experience,.. so stop the "Why Me!" and learn from ur stupid mistakes. & better yet enjoy the misery as much and take it as another kickass challenge.

love, Nawal :)

December 13, 2005 2:12 AM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

Would you cast your evil eye away if I told ya I already am?

*raises eyebrow*

December 13, 2005 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoaa! A Dale Carnegie pullover!?

December 13, 2005 8:28 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#KJ: What thought process? I need a brain, then I could think!

#Nawal: Bingo! More discussion about this on New Years ;)

#Mahi: The only time I think about you is prolly when I read your blog. Then, you are outta my mind! So.... you dont think I would dedicate a part of my post towards ya, would I? :P

Ok... Ok... U r always on my mind!

#Menagerie: Evil? Me? What are you talking about?
Soo... u gonna bring that list of things for me which I sent ya?

#DEMI: "....." 2 u 2

#Brad: Happens!

December 13, 2005 10:05 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

And Nicole, ever since I have come to know you, I have been wondering, "Why not me?"
;)

December 13, 2005 11:45 PM  
Blogger Miss M said...

Wow!!

Now that was a superb post! :)

December 14, 2005 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

apoo: this is good muhurat... almost all of the four of them like the post.. go for the kill... propose once more... before you post the next one... take advantage of the good mood they are in... go for it bro ;)

December 14, 2005 9:41 AM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

Oh noooo you don't!!! I've been having a lousy week and I'm sure its on account of some unprecedented positivity from Apoo which had to pull some joy from the rest of the universe....aaahhh...see what it does to my thinking!!

In short, Apoo, go back to posting funny pics and crazy posts!!

December 14, 2005 10:15 AM  
Blogger Menagerie said...

Apoo - Sure thing , I will get all the non-perishable items on the list!


Oh btw, Iyer - that was so funny :))

December 14, 2005 12:16 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Medha: "I Know!!!!" :P

Iyer: Inn chaar ladkiyon ke saamne tu mera maazak udata hai? Tu mera dost hai kii dushman hai?

Idea: Hey! Stop the blame game. And start doing some work.... lets see, idea reads some 1000 blogs a day, posts across 5 blogs of her own and then wonders how the work is piling on her desk?

Menagerie: Smarty! I can revise that list you know!

December 14, 2005 5:38 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

you're in denial apoo.
and dont think i dont know about that 'Mahi shrine' you've built in your home..

coz i know!

December 14, 2005 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mazaak nahi uda raha hoon... reminder de raha hoon... agar phir bhi tu snooze (read ignore) karna chahta hai to its your call... dost ki dosti pe shaq kiya tune... hmpf... ab mein chala

December 14, 2005 11:08 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Bhaaaiii... mujhe chhod ke mat jaa bhaii!

December 14, 2005 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home