Friday, May 25, 2007

Foot-In-Mouth Moments

Team meetings. Indians, Chinese, Americans. Talk, talk, talk. Time for a break.

I turn to the Chinese Biostatistician sitting next to me. "So, do you know Kung-Fu?"

Team Lunch. Everyone is gulping Italian food. The conversation is about different countries and their culture. I turn to my Chinese friend. "So, do you know Kung-Fu?"

Then, sometime after this, I was with a friend of mine who was talking about how a Chinese friend of his came and asked him if elephants walk about on Indian roads, to which he asked if all of China knows Kung-Fu. And both smiled and went their respective ways.

"But, whats wrong with asking if he knows Kung-Fu?"
"Dude, its offensive. How would you feel if someone asked whether Indians roam around on flying carpets. Or if India is about cows and elephants?"

Ok, that explains why my year-end bonus was not what I expected it to be.




In a slightly off mood with a friend over not getting some stuff done right.

She: Ok, ok, lets forget it and get on with what we have at hand?
Me: No!
She: No?
Me: No! Coz everything you and I end up doing is not gonna last right for more than 2 minutes.
[Silence]
She: (grinning) 2 minutes eh cowboy?
Me: OK! Not EVERYTHING!!




My company had a lay-off sometime ago. Some of the people who got laid off, got a good 6 months of salary in severance, took 2 months of vacations and joined a sister company when they came back.

After hearing this, the great me goes public with the sentence, "I should have got laid!!"



Many more 'funny' moments coming up soon - coz Iyer will be in Baltimore over this weekend. Any ideas on how I should give him a warm welcome? Not turning up at the airport to receive him would be a good start, no?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had people here in charlotte asking me if there were monkeys on the streets of india...

and... yeah right!!! that warm welcome idea is really funny :)

May 25, 2007 7:22 PM  
Blogger Miss M said...

I'm pretty sure when you said "I should have got laid", you meant every word of it! Dont pretend as if it was some 'foot-in-mouth' kinda moment!!! :P:P

May 25, 2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Iyer: Its gonna be funnier when you actually dont find me at BWI!

#Medha: *Ignored*

May 26, 2007 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[Iyer] But there are monkeys all over the place in Agra, why only the streets? They have ruined the back-wiper of my car, and no one's mobike/scooter seats are safe!

Visit my office once, and see a jungle full of them! (And I meant it not as some joke pointing to my colleagues, but state this in earnest; the simian trouble here is way beyond normal proportions!)

[Apoo] - Finally a new post! LOL@'I should have got laid'and a bigger LOL @ Medha's comment

May 27, 2007 11:09 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Deepak: Now I wish I worked in Agra. I would have lots to blog about - apart from hanging out with my fellow mates (the monkeys)

May 28, 2007 9:39 PM  
Blogger Mahima said...

hahaha i liked ure idea of a warm welcome - touching!
2 mins eh apoo? uve done all interested females a favor by admitting to that :P now they can look elsewhere!

May 29, 2007 11:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

2 min? U are just as good as instant noodles! Well at least, we dont have to pour hot water on you... :-P

May 31, 2007 11:23 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Mahima: Anything between that particular individual and me would last for 2 mins. Does not mean its 2 mins between me and everyone! Wanna give it a try? :P

#Anjali: LOL!
I shudnt have put this 2 min thing up!

June 01, 2007 6:21 PM  
Blogger Di said...

#kung fu: smooth!

#2 mins: all the best! ;)

#laid: sacchai zubaan pe aa hi gayi.. :D

June 01, 2007 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home