Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Final Countdown

As some of you have guessed and most of you now know, today is this blogs 4th anniversary. However, the countdown was for a different reason, so read on.

Why did I ever start blogging? When I was in India (2004), I was introduced to blogging by
Abhi and Alap. I did find it weird at first. What do I have to write? My life is not even remotely interesting and I am hardly opinionated. I thought I would use this blog as an online journal. A repository for random thoughts, events, stories and reflections, right down to answering the question - Why Me?. Perhaps some memories or not so interesting news and musings. I thought my grandkids would read this and think I was such a rockstar. But with time as this blog evolved, I realized there was more to it. I was confident some chick will read this, think I was so cool (What? I can cook and I can iron clothes - isn't that what every woman looks for in a man?) and go "Marry me!" Jokes apart, there was a difference between writing a blog and scribbling in that pink heart shaped diary everyone has (come on! I know you have one of those).

I realized a blog could be the outlet to my different interests. My ability to play with
words, explore different areas and invent new recipes. And looking back, I have four years of documented "Apoorva's Life". Right from the hotties I stalked, the salmon kebabs to being chased by monkeys.

But above all this, I have come to know some amazing people. Some like and some not-so-like minded people. People from different countries and people from different professions. Doctors and artists to research scientists and photographers. Some I know superficially and some have turned out to be really good friends. And this by far has been the most rewarding part of blogging. Every post feels like an event I am hosting where everyone stops by. Some stay around for a while and interact. Some peek by (and leave with the free beer). And I, play the humble host!

However, have you heard of that person who hosts a party just because people expect him to do so. That he no longer enjoys it the way he used to, but hosts it. When I started blogging, I started slow and as it grew on me, I blogged more frequently. I loved it. I was blogging almost every other day. Then it became a weekly affair. Perhaps it was blogger's block which set in. Perhaps I just got wary of my surroundings and it limited my creativity, or my freedom of speech (text?). But I never got over it. I should have stopped long time ago. Long, long time ago. But I dragged on and almost made this blog look a ghost town. If you visit a blog few times and are greeted by the same post, you know its almost dead.

Yes, I should have stopped long time ago. And what I should have done then, I would rather do it now! Its time to shut this part of my life and start another that I have been contemplating since many months!

However, this is certainly not the end of our interaction. Well, at least I speak for those who have a blog (or have me on facebook). I will be visiting your blogs and many of you know that I do respond to emails or posts on my 'Wall' faster than I answer my phone! And why do I feel I will reappear someday on the blogosphere. Perhaps back here, or perhaps somewhere else.

I was talking to a friend few hours ago and something hilarious came up. I was almost about to say, "You know I am going to blog this!" and stopped myself short.

This might take time getting used to.

And before I leave, I know everyone is looking at me for those departing words of wisdom. Most of us spend our life thinking of doing many a thing, but never get around to doing it. We blame it on time, and our ever packed schedules and working at jobs which majority of us are not in love with. Remember life by what you did and not by what you wanted to do. The right moment to do what you always wanted to do, is NOW! And stop caring what the world thinks!

So looking back, did I achieve any of my primary objectives? Will my grandkids think I was a rockstar? Forget my grandkids, my Dad reads my blog and has decided to disown me! And as for that hot chick who was supposed to stop by my blog and say, "Marry Me!", all I can say is she is very lucky! She has not yet missed out on her chance to do so!

See you around!

Labels: , , , ,

47 Comments:

Blogger Neetal said...

OMG ... I didn't expect this Apoo...

Ghosh I am going to miss you... =(

Like seriously...

Awwee..

Nai jaa.... please !

October 15, 2008 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't get the host and party bit...

anyways... have fun in whatever you are doing man... had a good time being around JOSHIENIZER...

will see you around when you are on this side of the world :)

October 15, 2008 1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

drink anyone?

i'll come back to this post some day and write in some blah.

maybe i'll start blogging again too

three cheers for pops

October 15, 2008 2:32 AM  
Blogger dilip said...

Hmmm....
Going to miss all the witty posts...
Anyways all the best!!!

October 15, 2008 5:33 AM  
Blogger DewdropDream said...

That's ... bit of a shame you don't want to continue anymore. But understandable. We'll be in touch for sure! And I do hope you'll come back to blogging sometime. You're not locking this away, are you?

October 15, 2008 7:03 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Man, I sure would have won that prize that you were hosting in the last post. I was about to suggest closing down the blog! Just like http://www.thevoiceinmyhead.com Of course, I would have been kidding.

Not sure if you knew this, but I have been reading your blog since early 2005 and have been a regular since then. And of course had fun for the most part. I can't say 'all', coz' some of your posts were outright @#$#@($. :P

And by the way, this shutting-down-the-blog thingie by bloggers is getting way too cliched.

October 15, 2008 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally unexpected....will miss your posts.

October 15, 2008 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am shocked!!

will miss u around!

October 15, 2008 12:37 PM  
Blogger the free spirit said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 15, 2008 2:01 PM  
Blogger the free spirit said...

awww...ok confession? I loved your blog..i found it through another friend's blog and got hooked. I think you are funny and have a nice way with words...i even talked about some of your posts to my friends. Well you decide to move on and I am sure its for some greener pastures. So all the best in your future endeavors. I will miss your posts, especially the one about your run-ins with gujju uncles and aunties :)
P.S. if this is just a prank you are pulling, i get the gift hehehe.
Adios and best of luck

October 15, 2008 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww..this sucks! Going to miss ur posts..they really cracked me up!

October 15, 2008 3:11 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Neeku: LOL! I'll miss your comments as well!

#Iyer: Yup, we'll meet on that side... and I shall explain the host and party bit to you then.

#Abhi: I'll drink! :P

#Dilip: Thanks. Wish you the best as well.

#Dewdrop: Yup, I'll be back to blogging. I just didnt want to continue here :)
We'll be in touch. And no, as of now, i have no plans of locking this up.

#Brad: Come on now! I know you found every post amazing! :P
You should have suggested it. The prize was something you could have used on your SLR! Anyways, yes I was aware you have been reading this blog since a long time and thanks for hanging around :)

#Ekta: thanks! I never knew you were reading this blog. Thanks for reading... and update your blog :)

#Illusion: Thanks girl! Will see ya around!

#The free spirit: Awww.. I love such confessions! :) Thank you for reading this blog and stopping by. Such comments make me wanna call this a prank :)
Good luck to you as well :)

#Anita: You were one of my first 'readers'. :) We'll be in touch!

October 15, 2008 8:12 PM  
Blogger Solitaire said...

Whatever!!!!

I am MAD!

October 15, 2008 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continue blogging Apoo and I will marry you!!

October 15, 2008 11:41 PM  
Blogger Neetal said...

Not thats a blatant lie that you are going to miss my comments... i remember once you took up a sword just because I disagreed with Iyer...

Whatever it is... don't leave...

October 16, 2008 2:17 AM  
Blogger Scribblers Inc said...

dang!! You dont mean this!! I mean you are NOT packin up!! and how come no one told me about the free beer!! SHEESH!! :O

Anyways, I have been reading your blog close to half an year now and that doesnt make me as dedicated as your other readers, but your humor is of a rare breed.And when I say that I am going to miss my dose of Iron Man humor, a lot of people would agree...hell, all would!

Heres wishing you all the luck in your future ventures!!
shine on you crazy diamond...

Scribblers Inc.

October 16, 2008 2:39 AM  
Blogger Tazeen said...

apoo is literally cavorting the skies, he has had enough of us earthlings ...:)

October 16, 2008 7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude! that sucks.. even though i stopped blogging I loved visiting and reading the blogs. But good luck with whatever it is ur gonna do. maybe you should start writing poems like the ones u used to in my comment box ..hhehe

The pooh bear..

October 18, 2008 1:06 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Solitaire: We all know you are MAD! Go get some therapy :P

#Hot chick: Marry me and I'll continue blogging :P

#Neeku: Thats why I will miss your comments! No one to raise swords against now :P

#Scribblers: Thanks bro! See ya around!

#Tazeen: Now, you know me so well!!

#Pooh: Now now... let people know I was commenting to your poems in form of a poem and not leaving poems in your comment box! I have to take care of my 'macho man' tag here!

October 18, 2008 11:19 PM  
Blogger Madame Mahima said...

ill miss ure hilarious posts ajo, in fact ill miss reading them more than ill miss making fun of them

but u know what? in my opinion theres no 'on' and 'off' switch to blogging. it becomes a part of ure life and if u dont feel the urge to blog right now, you'll feel it later. i guarantee.

just promise us that if u ever do feel like updating, u wont stop ureself coz there are still people out there who love reading this blog.
(oh hell, not me man. im glad i dont have to read ure nincompoop writing anymore :P)

October 19, 2008 4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put your vote down ye fellas:

Who is Hot Chick?

a) Apoo
b) Mahi
c) Someone from the list of commenters above (Specify Name)
d) No one you know

My Vote:
a) Apoo

October 20, 2008 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it true that u writing a book now, which u plan to publish after u retire .. u know extra income after retirement sorts!

abs: (b)

October 20, 2008 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

abs: (c) Abhi

October 20, 2008 1:24 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

My vote - (a) Apoo (at least for the hot part)

#Memphis: If there a book, then you will know about it when the time is right :)

October 20, 2008 5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Popeye the sailor man
Popeye the sailor man
Hes strong to the fin-ich
Cause he eats his spin-ach
He's Popeye the sailor man.
Always....

- Bakshi

October 21, 2008 6:40 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

so who suggested closing down the blog as a perfect 4th anniversary celebration?

October 23, 2008 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude you serious !!! Man i have been reading your post through Feedreader since ... well ever, and yours was the most anticipated one in all my frnds list.

Well, now that you have a lot of time on hand you could do something better to get that "I will marry you" chik you have been waiting for :)

Have fun...

October 23, 2008 2:27 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Bakshi: LOL! Most the readers are going to be confused about your comment. Haha! In case anyone is wondering... Popeye is my nickname back home. And I hate spinach so no idea how I got that nick!

#Sonia: No one did. This was planned since sometime.

#Bordi: Thanks man! Didnt know you have been following this blog. Good I stopped before I wrote something scandalous about Syracuse :P

October 25, 2008 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sucks just started reading your blog. why the sudden death, why not just write when you feel like it.

October 25, 2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger the free spirit said...

I bet you miss it. I bet you wanna write a post badddd...i bet you are just embarassed to come back since you made such a drama of all this lol :P

October 29, 2008 1:37 PM  
Blogger Solitaire said...

I am not mad anymore.

November 01, 2008 7:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awwww...this sucks! Anyway, do keep that promise to meet up sometime next year, okies?

Honestly, I am thinking of the same. :-(

November 08, 2008 5:33 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#pi: Ah! Bad timing :P
Somehow it doesnt feel right. I have tried doing that, but more than when I write, its the freedom of what I write which is kinda missing.

#Free Spirit: LOL! Go away!

#Solitaire: Thats what all mad people say, that they are not mad :P

#Anjali: Yup! We'll meet up for sure!

November 12, 2008 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So unexpected!

But you shouldn't say goodbye, for goodbyes are forever, and no farewell is forever in true sense. Who knows, that itch, that bug might bite you too hard again...

...till that time, like all the lovelypeople above, me too will miss Joshienizer. I mightn't have been too regular in the past few months, but yes, yours was one page that i invariably opened whenever I had the urge to read sth new :)

... stay in touch on gmail/facebook et al...

...and do let me know when you r next in bombay...

November 15, 2008 9:09 AM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Deepak: Thanks for the kind words :) We'll meet up for sure next time I am in Bombay - I owe you a few beers!

November 26, 2008 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you visiting the midwest (kansas, missouri...) by any chance? i thought i saw someone who looks a lot like you.

November 28, 2008 12:23 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

#Anon: I live in the mid-west, and yes, I am traveling around the mid-west this thanksgiving (altho not Kansas/Missouri). If you see me again, say hello. I promise I dont bite :)

November 28, 2008 6:49 PM  
Blogger the free spirit said...

I hope your family and friends are safe in mumbai...I feel so sad about the new wave of terror thats hitting our countries.
I still think u wanna post something :)
we wont sy anything go ahead shabash :)

December 03, 2008 3:08 PM  
Blogger APOO said...

Yup, everyone is fine. Thanks for asking :)

December 03, 2008 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) cia back soon!

December 07, 2008 9:42 PM  
Blogger Still Searching said...

OMG! This is an end of an era! And I didn't even know till 3 whole months later!!! Goodness, I've been gone from blogger for far too long!!

January 04, 2009 11:47 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

heya- glad that even if you are not blogging, at least you are a-visiting! :)
Tho I wish you do start blogging again...miss reading you!
...maybe will catch up on Facebook...Ya, now that's an idea!

January 19, 2009 2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time on your blog, habibi...you quitting? Seems like I'll miss out one some good heartcurry. :(

Nice title btw.

February 11, 2009 1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post.

May 21, 2009 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See you around apoo.

July 28, 2009 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog.

July 30, 2009 1:58 PM  
Blogger Xeb said...

"Marry Me!"

;)

(there, now you can stop blogging all content!)

August 15, 2009 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home